What formates does/should Final Cut Pro open?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wolftrap, Jul 29, 2008.

1. wolftrap macrumors newbie

I have an iMac at work, its a year old, I believe, and it has been having problems.

To me it seems that the version of Final Cut on this computer will not open any file that is not a .mov, .aiff

I thought that Final Cut could open .avi, .mp3, .mp4 but this one cannot.

To get to the point is there some thing wrong with the Mac or does Final Cut just no support these formats? And if it doesn't is there a quick and fast way to convert files from .mp3 to .aiff? I know quicktime can do it but it will not be fast. I have about 12 files to convert.

Thank you for your help.

2. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I think that it should be able to read pretty much any format that QuickTime can. Try installing Perian and Flip4Mac.

3. wolftrap thread starter macrumors newbie

I have flip4mac but it only works for .wmv; but it does work.

Yeah I thought it should be able to open what ever quicktime can but I find my self converting .mp4 to .mov so that I can edit them. Not fun

4. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Well with the most recent iMovie update I have been able to import avi files without conversion. Which version of Final Cut is it?

5. wolftrap thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe it is 5.2 but I am not sure I will check tomorrow.

6. wolftrap thread starter macrumors newbie

the work computer has Final Cut version 5.1.4

7. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I'm all out of ideas. I do think that version 6 is the latest. Not that it should make a difference in what codecs it will use.

8. wolftrap thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I think they need to reinstall Final Cut, and hopefully that will fix the problem. It is getting hard to work with and I think it is getting worst as the days go on. To day it told me that I could not import a file (.mov) because the frame rate was wrong. I changed the frame rate to 30 from 24 and it worked but 24 is a right frame rate for live action. I don't know. :confused: