What free apps are a must get??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Fireworld, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Fireworld, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011

Fireworld macrumors member

Like many others, I'll be buying my first iPad tomorrow and I plan on installing a ton of apps right away. I have no idea what apps are the most popular. What are the best apps you can suggest for first time buyers? Free only please.

2. Cshanks5 macrumors newbie

3. Cshanks5 macrumors newbie

4. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

He only wants free apps... So OP, nix the iMovie and GarageBand.

5. DS3, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011

DS3 macrumors 6502a

If you want free apps you need to watch a site like appshopper or appspy.com.

Most of the permanently free apps are free for a reason, but a lot of good ones will be free (or 1 dollar at least.... a 25 dollar itunes card can go a long way) on sale now and then.
    Just picked up "Tower Madness HD" which seems like a good tower defense game for free, was 8 dollars previously.

A truly free app i use a lot is CNN and Netflix, but netflix is only free sincei ts a subscriptions service.. plenty of websites have free app versions..

6. hwu182 macrumors member

7. Annerz macrumors regular

8. ggf macrumors member

iSlash, wikihood, pocket pond( enchanting but not very useful), lots of good transit apps but need to try the ones for your city and see how good they are), barcode reader,skype,dropbox, bbc news, IMDb,PCalc Lite(if you like RPN calculators, PhotoPad

9. omyard macrumors regular

Evernote
    Netflix
    IMDb
    SoundHound
    Discover (Wikipedia app)
    Talkatone (if you use Google Voice)
    eBay
    The Weather Channel
    ABC app
    SiriusXM (if you're a subscriber)
    White Pages
    Calculator 4
    Epicurious
    iBooks
    Kindle

10. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

11. jason1790 macrumors member

I would not get the Facebook app if I were you. I had it on my original iPad. Mr. Zuckerberg over at Facebook does not consider the iPad a "Mobile Device" so they dont have a facebook app meant for the iPad. I just added facebook.com to my homescreen.

But like someone else said... Check out appshopper.com. Ive gotten apps that are regularly 4.99-9.99 for free. Appshopper will show you when apps go on sale.

Appshopper also has an App.:)

12. nvcplus macrumors regular

aweditorium - seriously one of my favorite apps. Music discovery app that feels natural ONLY on a tablet.

13. DNAppleGold, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011

DNAppleGold macrumors regular

First, congratulations on your purchase. You will be truly amazed. Here are some free apps that I use every day.

1. News: NYT, BBC, NPR, the Economist have awesome apps
    2. Turn you google reader and social media posts into a beautifully laid out magazine - Flipboard. (I also use Pulse - not quite as fancy but you can be more targeted)
    3. Reading: Ibooks. With Random House finally on board!. While not free, I bet you will end up getting goodreader or some other PDF managment app. The ability to annotate PDFs is just too valuable. If you into comic books, ComiX is great.
    4. File management. Dropbox. (no need to e-mail yourself documents)
    5. If you have apple TV or mac computers, apple remote.
    6. Music Streaming- Pandora. I like last FMs service better, but the Pandora app for Ipad is really great looking.

BTW, don't bother with the FB app. Works great for Iphone but does nothing on the Ipad. Just save as a favorite in the brower or add a safari link to your home screen.

14. M87 macrumors 65816