What frequencies does 3 UK use?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nermal, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a 3 SIM but since I'm from NZ I'm using an "American" device with WCDMA 850/1900/2100. Can I use that on 3, or do I need a 900 MHz device?

2. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I believe all UK 3g networks are either 1900 or 2100, only 2g networks use lower frequencies.

3. cw2k7 macrumors member

2100 for 3G and fallback to 1800 for 2G (via the orange network)

UK doesn't use 850 or 1900.

4. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

5. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Just an update... I actually wanted a mobile broadband connection, and 3 said that I needed to buy the actual mobile broadband stick, because apparently putting the SIM into a regular phone would make it run at the casual data rate rather than the mobile broadband plan price (according to the sales guy). I ended up paying £35 for a stick with 3 GB of data.

I also tried O2, which was slightly cheaper, but apparently you need a UK bank account! :eek:

So I now have a 3 stick which I probably can't use back in NZ as I'm guessing that it's locked to 3 (and most likely won't be able to connect to the 850 MHz network here either).

6. ACDeag macrumors regular

All iPhones are the same, so your American device will be able to use all UK frequencies used by whichever network you choose. Assuming it is unlocked of course!