What fresh hell is this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by profmatt, Mar 21, 2017.

1. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

This is the second time I have received this message today. It just popped up without me doing anything.

Yesterday I got an empty text message from a number that was too long to be a short code and too short to be a mobile number. I deleted it. I don't know if this is related.

[​IMG]

2. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

What happens when you tap "Why did I receive this message?" Let me guess, it's probably not useful.

3. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

It wasn't super-helpful. It talked about Type 0 text messages that are sometimes used in emergencies and sometimes used to scam people. It didn't recommend any course of action.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's basically a Flash SMS message (or as you mentioned Type 0 SMS message) that essentially anyone can send. More often than not when it is used legitimately it's used by carriers or services providers to send some sort of updates or messages (like your balance for some pre-paid accounts) or something like that. But anyone can basically send a message like that just for fun as well. In your case it's more of a question as to who exactly sent that message and why.

5. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

Hmm . . . I'll try the old turn-it-off-and-on-again trick.

Why is my iPhone trying to send messages? (Assuming this is a legitimate Flash message in response to my iPhone trying to send a message to someone.)

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Or you've signed up for a service. Doctor's offices, dentists, pharmacies, and churches often use them these days for reminders and mass announcements.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

I think at most those would really just be regular text messages.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Alas, as they do show up in my Messages app afterwards, I believe you're correct. Apologies for the red herring.