Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meoryou5688

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Hey guys

Just wanted to know what functions people look for when buying an ipad case. Is it keyboard, multi view, etc....

anthrovisual

macrumors regular
May 27, 2008
Hey guys

Just wanted to know what functions people look for when buying an ipad case. Is it keyboard, multi view, etc....

The functions I have been looking for have changed the more I use the iPad. I started wanting maximum protection so I got an Otterbox, but since I use it mostly in my hands and not propped on a desk, I found the case to be too heavy. My second case was the Concerti, which had great quality but was still too heavy to hold. I then got a Mag Snap case and Smart Cover because I wanted it to be light but still be able to prop when I needed to, but I'm having second thoughts about the Smart Cover and the ergonomics of a case with a flat back (maybe my hands are weak and carpally but my fingers get strained laying flat and the corner is pretty sharp in my palm). So now I'm thinking of trying a case like the Origo which is formed for the hand and use a dedicated stand when I need to prop the thing. I enjoy using the iPad most in my hands, so I'm thinking the best case is one that is most "handy."

Stating the obvious: the more you use the iPad the more you understand what functions you need most. Personally, I think keyboard cases are for people who got an iPad when they should have gotten a laptop.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
For me, my most important must have functions in order of importance to me are:

• Good stand for typing
  • No obvious defects
  • Good quality workmanship
  • Slim form and lightweight
  • Magnets that work with the awake/sleep function
  • Microfiber lining
  • Open enough dock to be able to use the camera connector

Other than those characteristics, I'm pretty flexible. My two favorite cases are totally different from each other. The Bridgeway is made of TPU with a smart type roll up cover and snap in back case. My Yoobao iSlim is like the original Apple iPad case but in leather and with magnets.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
Ideal case doesn't add too much bulk, allows multiple viewing angles for the iPad, and sports a good design.

Beyond that, features like attached bluetooth keyboard, magnets for sleep/wake, are based on user preference in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.