Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rawticus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
I have a 20" iMac Core Duo 2.0 w/1GB ram. (im new to the whole Mac thing and i LOVE it) I want a game that'll run smoothly, preferably an FPS. Multiplayer action is a MUST. I usually hate playing campaign modes.

Any and ALL suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks guys :D

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Lego Star Wars is an absolute blast multi-player action game. Highly recommend it.
(haven't played it on Mac, but should run fine on your machine).

Rawticus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
no windows on my machine. i bought it RIGHT b4 Leopard ... i had no idea there was a new OS coming out. So it'll have to run on tiger

Rawticus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
i found out about MacRumors on wednesday. only have own a Mac since September. I was one of those PC users that would never go near a Mac untill a friend finally convinced me. Gave it a try, liked it, and 2 weeks later i went to the Apple store and bought one.

Now i wanna play a game and frag someone. HELP!!! lol

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
I have a 20" iMac Core Duo 2.0 w/1GB ram. (im new to the whole Mac thing and i LOVE it) I want a game that'll run smoothly, preferably an FPS. Multiplayer action is a MUST. I usually hate playing campaign modes.

Any and ALL suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks guys :D

Is this the white Core Duo with the x1600 graphics or did you mean the Core 2 Duo (aluminum) with the 2400xt? You said you got it just before leopard came out but I'm not clear which machine you have.

In OSX the older X1600 did a better job of giving you more frames than the 2400XT, that may change if apple decides to upgrade the drivers.

Your FPS choices are like: Prey, Quake 4, Halo, Call of Duty, Call of Duty 2, Unreal Tournament 2004. You should be able to run these without much of an issue, but you may need to dial down a few settings to squeeze out xtra fps. Make sure to get the game updates. A copy of Halo may be difficult to find. Call of Duty series still has alot of people playing online, the last time I checked.

There's also BattleField 2142, but I don't know how well the game plays with these graphics cards. I know there's been issues and updates, maybe someone else will chime in and give their feedback on how well the game runs for them.

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars should be out from Aspyr soon, so keep your eyes out for that. I've played the demo on the pc side and its pretty good.:cool:

Rawticus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
Is this the white Core Duo with the x1600 graphics or did you mean the Core 2 Duo (aluminum) with the 2400xt? You said you got it just before leopard came out but I'm not clear which machine you have.

In OSX the older X1600 did a better job of giving you more frames than the 2400XT, that may change if apple decides to upgrade the drivers.

ATI,RadeonHD2400 .....

thats what it saids when i clicked on about this Mac. its a 128mb card

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
ATI,RadeonHD2400 .....

thats what it saids when i clicked on about this Mac. its a 128mb card

So you have the newer Al imac. They released an update that enables anisotropic shading (imac update 1.1?), and supposedly they are working on improving the drivers for the 2400 and 2600 gpus in the imacs. When they release those new drivers you should get some extra frames. In the meantime to get an idea of where you stand with some games you can look here:

http://www.barefeats.com/imacal.html

These settings are all at high, so you may have to lower them to medium to get better frame rates. If you are impatient for performance gains you could set up bootcamp and load XP and run games from there. The drivers are more mature and you will get significantly better frame rates from your graphics card.

Rawticus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
i found a post here with a bunch of open source games ...

open arena
nexuis
urban terror ....

i downloaded those and they are awesome and free ...

i still wanna buy a game though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.