Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bckcntryski36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2008
I've done alot of research on the $1299 macbook and i think its the right computer for me but i was wonder what games could it handle. i have halo CoD2, and battlefield 2. and i might be getting some games like wow.

iMouse

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Boardman, Ohio
Meh...

If you're gonna use it for gaming, you are probably better off looking for a refurb MacBook Pro off of the Apple Store site. There's also the iMac with both the Radeon HD 2600 or the GeForce 8800GS which runs WoW at full framerate with everything maxed. I rarely drop below 30fps even in high-traffic areas with the Radeon HD 2600 and 2GB of RAM.

The Intel GMA X3100 in the MacBook isn't that impressive of a GPU and while Halo may run great (cause the game is like dirt old now), WoW will likely suffer significant framerate loss if the graphics options are set above midgrade.

Apple has some fantastic deals on refurbs. The refurbs look brand-spankin'-new and perform the same. My iMac is a refurb and if it didn't come in a brown box, I wouldn't have known it was a refurb. Sometimes, Apple also sends a refurb with better specs than what you purchased. My iMac was supposed to ship with a 320GB drive and instead shipped with a 500GB. :D

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
ive heard it can handle GTA San Andreas and WoW. the current MacBook's have 144 MB of integrated video RAM which more than my dedicated graphics chip on my MacBook Pro Core Duo which can play decent games from 2007/8.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
VRAM hardly means anything.

Back when I used a PC, my Dell came bundled with some entry level ATI rubbish which had 128mb of VRAM. I upgraded it to a NVidia card which had 64mb of VRAM and it played games with about double the FPS.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Well, it does mean something. The more the ram the more it can cache, and it's mighty fast and direct ram too.

And you didn't do enough research :p
But yea the MB will play most games from and before 2004, as a very rough rule of thumb.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Well, it does mean something. The more the ram the more it can cache, and it's mighty fast and direct ram too.

Come on. The tech isn't there in the integrated graphics. That's all, really. Otherwise, the MacBook's integrated graphics would be comparable to 128 MB video cards found in laptops, which clearly isn't true.

I'm not saying the MacBook's integrated graphics is bad. It's not. However, for gaming, it isn't the best. You can probably play WoW, but not at extreme settings, and not as good as your friends on semi-recent desktops or on laptops with dedicated video cards.

Wait and buy the new MacBook when it comes out.

jmmtn4aj

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2008
Singapore
ive heard it can handle GTA San Andreas and WoW. the current MacBook's have 144 MB of integrated video RAM which more than my dedicated graphics chip on my MacBook Pro Core Duo which can play decent games from 2007/8.

Besides the fact that VRAM size has nothing to do with processing power, integrated graphics also tend to share memory with the rest of the computer, meaning it uses your RAM, not dedicated VRAM. Shared memory is MUCH slower in terms of clockspeed and latencies.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
I didn't buy my Macbook for games(no one should), but I have played some intense games on it with no problem at all. The games looked good also on it. Of course the Pro will do better. You also pay hundreds more for it. There is no way anyone can say with certainty if the new Macbook will have a better graphics card or what the price will be.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Come on. The tech isn't there in the integrated graphics. That's all, really. Otherwise, the MacBook's integrated graphics would be comparable to 128 MB video cards found in laptops, which clearly isn't true.

It's just one of many factors. Usually they don't give weaker cards lots of ram since it won't be running games in such high resolutions to require such a large frame buffer and cache.

A 1gb video card in a MB isn't going to outpace a 256mb 8800, but similarly a 64mb 8800 would be crippled.
The MB doesn't need more memory IMO, it just needs built in and more capable. Course it won't be pumping out Crysis and full quality TF2 in the next itteration.

mmark

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2008
i have the 1299 macbook you're talking about (2.4 c2d, 2g ram) and these are the games that ive played on it so far--

tf2 - playable, fine (although the framerate might go down a bit if you go into large areas with many people)
cs 1.6 - works fine
starcraft and WC3 - fine
cs:s - fine
dod:s - fine
portal - fine, but it doesnt run anymore for some reason
gmod - fine
audiosurf - fine.

all with crossover (6.2 i believe)

Amoeba

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2008
i have the 1299 macbook you're talking about (2.4 c2d, 2g ram) and these are the games that ive played on it so far--

tf2 - playable, fine (although the framerate might go down a bit if you go into large areas with many people)
cs 1.6 - works fine
starcraft and WC3 - fine
cs:s - fine
dod:s - fine
portal - fine, but it doesnt run anymore for some reason
gmod - fine
audiosurf - fine.

all with crossover (6.2 i believe)

You were able to play CS source fine? wow thanks! do you think it could handle upcoming games such as Starcraft 2?

Jak3

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
You were able to play CS source fine? wow thanks! do you think it could handle upcoming games such as Starcraft 2?

SC2...hard to say...I mean, it's not Crysis, but the graphics in it arn't 2D either...

I'm just gonna go ahead and say, no. Chances are so slim, telling you there's any possibility would be pretty much a lie...

No, Starcraft 2 would not be playable on a Macbook...

thebeesknees

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
I too am looking at a macbook. Now, I use a white iMac with integrated graphics, and it ran Civ IV and CoD 2 demo great. Does the macbook have the same graphics card, or a better one?

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
I too am looking at a macbook. Now, I use a white iMac with integrated graphics, and it ran Civ IV and CoD 2 demo great. Does the macbook have the same graphics card, or a better one?

I assume the iMac has GMA 950 and the current MacBook has GMA X3100 so the MacBook should be better.

mmark

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2008

yep yep cs:s works fine.
i would suggest using a at least a external mouse if not a keyboard as well, becuase imo its more comfortable playing with it.

and uhm, i am going to take a giant guess and say that it can run starcraft 2, because from people's estimations on the internet (too lazy to pull article) and the low spec requirements that blizzard games usually have, the mb should be able to play it at least on low settings, but dont quote me on that.

d.baker

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
I've done alot of research on the $1299 macbook and i think its the right computer for me but i was wonder what games could it handle. i have halo CoD2, and battlefield 2. and i might be getting some games like wow.

The guy asked what games will play not a discussion about the pros and cons of the macbook as a games machine! Doesn't anybody read forum questions anymore!!

Generally i've found that if your willing to play around with the settings alot of games will run ok apart from anything super intensive.

By the way I think Starcraft 2 will run fine, Bllizzard usually doesnt give its games over the top graphics, though it probably wont run at the highest settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.