What gaps are in my Mac Collection?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by froggytreafrogg, Dec 31, 2010.

1. froggytreafrogg macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

Hi, I'm in need of some opinions. I'm trying to figure out what would be the only things I need to get in order for my collection to be considered 'complete.'

Computers: original 128k, plus 1mb, SE, classic II, MacTV, TAM, LC, LCIII, LC580, PowerMac 180 desktop, PowerMac G3 beige and blue and white, PM G4, cube, apple iigs, apple iie, Mac iiFX, PMac g3 all-in-one, powerbook 230 duo, mac portable, emac, imac g3, imac g4, powerbook 180, powerbook g4.

Printers/scanners/cameras: OneScanner, ImageWriter, StyleWriters, LaserWriter, QuickTake 150 & 200

Newton/audio: MessagePad 1200, eMate, apple-brand speaker, PowerCD.

What else would anyone think to be cool in my collections. Thanks. :apple:

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Only you can say whether it's complete or not. People have different goals for their collection. But to me, the big gap (at least on the 68K end) is your '040 section. You've got a 580 there, but I think you need some Quadras. I'd add a Quadra 700 and either a 900 or 950. The introduction of the 700 and 900 was a huge step forward for the Mac.

Others that I think would be cool: Color Classic, Quadra 840av, Powerbook 100.

I'd also replace the 580 with a 575 (better screen), and lose the LC III altogether. You already have a regular LC, which is cool because it's one of only two machines with an '020.

3. Peter.Howard macrumors regular

Peter.Howard

I used to collect as many computers as I could get my hands on, more the better, now days I have a different school of thought:

It is better to own a few rare and truly desirable systems than heaps of common models.

Consider getting yourself a Lisa for example.

But the end of the day, collect what you want to collect, buy the systems you always wanted to own. Don't collect what other people tell you.

It is also worth remembering spares, you may want some duplicates, parts computers so when say when you 128k fails due to memory problems you have some parts to make it work again.

Trying to keep 20 old computers running in 10 years time will be a nightmares, but trying to keep say 5, with heaps of spares going might not be such a challenge.

Yes I am contradicting myself, collect with your heart.

:)

4. iowamensan macrumors 6502

You say you have one G3 iMac... there are a number of opportunities right there. From the Rev. A Bondi Blue, to the 5 fruits, to the higher end ones like Graphite and Snow, not to mention the specials like Flower Power and Dalmation.

5. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

This is an excellent point. I've done the fifty machine thing, and I find it more rewarding to be able to focus and give attention to just a couple of machines that I really, really value.

But like we've all said - YMMV.

6. froggytreafrogg thread starter macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

your very right. too bad a lisa runs for around $1500. Ive been keeping some redundancy in my collections: 2 pluses, 2 SEs, and such. I'm pretty good and fixing them up but i have a rather constant fear that they will give me problems in the far future. Thanks again.

:)[/QUOTE]

7. froggytreafrogg thread starter macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

Thanks. I have a snow and two graphites, and in the process of getting a lime green one going. I didn't know there was a flower and dalmatian. that's pretty cool

8. gonyr macrumors 6502

I don't see any variety of ibook on your list. That might be a route to consider.

9. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

Yes, clamshells ftw!!!!

10. Peter.Howard macrumors regular

Peter.Howard

Also remember to ditch the batteries from the logic boards if you are not using the computers on a regular basis.

Especally things like the older SE etc.

11. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Yup... A "Key Lime" iBook would be nice. Only available via the on-line store. :eek:

12. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Another vote for the iBook Clamshell. What a machine!

13. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Another large gap I can see is that you have no G5 Machines - maybe try and pick up a baseline PowerMac G5 (I see Single 1.6Ghz machines go for under $400/£300 regularly - Ive even seen Dual 1.8s drop under this) - Personally I collect as many machines as I can keep going (Hence mine has everything from my Mac Pro workhorse down to my PowerMac 8200/120 and 68K machines in it)

14. G42X500macguy macrumors newbie

2 missing

I don't see a Mac II VX or a IIsi.

The VX was famously obsolete within about a month of being released.

I have a IIsi. It was a champ! Went to the bank to get a loan to buy it. I remember it was $3,008. Pretty much every Apple Computer I've purchased since then has been around that amount.