What genealogy software do you use?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mysterytramp, Aug 28, 2008.

1. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

For about a year, I've been cataloging my genealogical research with MacFamilyTree. It's got a pleasant interface and it does the best job of handling photos of any family tree software out there.

But it's awfully frustrating to use. Big bugs have not been fixed despite dozens of updates and its sourcing system is all wrong.

What does anyone else use and why?

mt

2. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Try some forum search.I remember there was a similar thread about this. There you may find some useful stuff!:)

3. mysterytramp thread starter macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

The threads I found were a few months old and there have been software updates since then.

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Reunion. When I tested the different apps available a few years ago, Reunion was the most mature at that time. It's still working well for me.

5. MacGenealogist macrumors newbie

MacGenealogist

I'm using Reunion because it has the most complete feature set of the Mac genealogy applications. I'm working on a comparison of Mac genealogy software on my blog that I think will help you choose. I will start publishing the series soon. As a result of my research, I've discovered that iFamily for Leopard has some very nice workflow features.

----Ben Sayer
    MacGenealogist.com

6. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

Yep, I have been using Reunion as well. Not a problem. And the forums are excellent.

7. mysterytramp thread starter macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

iFamily bills itself as making individuals important, yet when you run it, the first thing you see is a five generation chart. Makes me think the individual stuff is all marketing, and if that's marketing what else is?

Of course, I've never understood why it's important to focus on individuals in genealogy software. Without families, there aren't any individuals.