Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

int79

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
When I get my 6S I would like to start with a fresh install with a public release of iOS 9. But I don't want to get rid of all of my files if possible. I want to start with a stable release and just restore my files from iCloud, things like my photos and messages. Will restoring from an iCloud backup mean my new phone is running a beta of iOS? Or does iCloud just restore the actual files and not the OS itself?

Sorry if I have explained that really badly! Any help would be great,

int79

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
What iOS are you on when you backup to iCloud?

Currently on 9.1, backed up to iCloud and I want to restore my files to whatever version ships on the 6S. Not sure if thats possible?

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Currently on 9.1, backed up to iCloud and I want to restore my files to whatever version ships on the 6S. Not sure if thats possible?

Restoring your current iCloud backup to your new 6s when you get it won't put beta on the new phone. It will just transfer all your data over, not the actual OS. Someone will have to confirm but you should be ok with using a 9.1 backup onto the 9.0 that the 6s will ship with. I think the only time that doesn't work is when you're moving to whole new versions of iOS. Like a 9 backup onto 8.

int79

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
Restoring your current iCloud backup to your new 6s when you get it won't put beta on the new phone. It will just transfer all your data over, not the actual OS. Someone will have to confirm but you should be ok with using a 9.1 backup onto the 9.0 that the 6s will ship with. I think the only time that doesn't work is when you're moving to whole new versions of iOS. Like a 9 backup onto 8.

Thanks for the reply lagwagon. This is how I always thought it worked because my iCloud backup files are so small it must be impossible to have any OS files in them! Excluding my photos the backup is under 2GB, the only thing that made me doubt this is I couldn't find any reference to downgrading iOS versions and using iCloud restore on Apple's site.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014

Someone one this forum said you can select a 9.1 iCloud backup with 9 installed. I could not select it when I restored my ipad, it was greyed out. Had to choose a 9 or 8 backup. The 9.1 backup was the only backup that said what version it was made on. The other ones only had a date.

int79

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
Someone one this forum said you can select a 9.1 iCloud backup with 9 installed. I could not select it when I restored my ipad, it was greyed out. Had to choose a 9 or 8 backup. The 9.1 backup was the only backup that said what version it was made on. The other ones only had a date.

Oh no, that doesn't sound good :/ might have to have a plan B for when my new phone arrives, looks like some people may be having luck and others not. I guess thats how it goes when you use beta software! Thanks for the reply ZEEN0j hopefully it works on my iPhone but to be honest I'm not holding out much hope

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.