What gift?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JB x, Dec 16, 2008.

1. JB x macrumors newbie

So my dad gave up trying to buy me a gift and said he would purchase whatever I wanted. I told him I wanted a newer laptop. He told me money was not an issue. I don't want to waste too much of my dad's money of worthless crap so I decided I would buy the cheapest thing that fits my options. But the problem is I'm not really sure what laptop fits me. I'm a student and I usually browse the web, watch movies, use word documents, and play some games. My going to college next year so I need some portability. I would use this laptop for the next 3-5 years hopefully. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S: I did use the search bar but I couldn't find a thread where money was not an issue. If I overlooked one, I apologize.

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

2.0Ghz Aluminum MacBook sounds like a great choice for you. $1300.

3. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Either a low-end MBP or the high-end Macbook, depends on which screen size you prefer and if you will be doing any graphics intensive work or gaming. If you're just playing chess, bejeweled, etc.
    Also, I think you posted in the wrong forum, this should be in "Buying Advice"

4. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Why the 2.4 Macbook instead of the 2.0 Macbook? I'm curious to know why you think that considering this kids needs?

5. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

He does say he wants to do "some gaming", so I'd say at least the 2.4 as well. Especially if he intends to use it for 3-5 years. 2.4 is going to have a longer useful life.

6. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

The 2.4 and 2.0 have the same graphics card and screen. If gaming is really important to him then the Pro is the logical choice if he wants to game on a Mac laptop.

7. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

ha you beat me to my own response :p thanks for taking care of that :)

"money is no object" but he wants to be respectful. The 2.4 would be a good compromise from the Pro, especially with the edu discount at $1499 for a stock config

8. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

He didn't answer it. The 2.4 and 2.0 have the same screen and graphics card.

9. JB x thread starter macrumors newbie

I noticed on your sig you have both the macbook and macbook pro. Which one do you like more and is the mbp a lot heavier and bigger than the macbook? Sorry if I ask too much questions.

10. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

It really depends on the gaming he wants to do though. If he's wanting to do some really simple kind of gaming, stuff that's been out for a little while, he'll be just fine with the MB, and although the 2.0 and 2.4 have the same 9400, the bump in processor speed will serve him well outside of gaming. Anyone that wants to do some serious gaming would be encouraged to go with the MBP, though.

EDIT: JB x, The MacBook I have in my sig is the old White Book, so I can't comment on the new aluminum macbook, but I can say the MBP is just about the perfect weight for it's size. It's wonderfully thin, and that extra two inches makes a huge difference. I wouldn't trade it for the world. The old one feels surprisingly heavy for it's size.

11. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

We agree then.

I was contemplating buying either the 2.4 Macbook or 2.4 Macbook Pro and for me I think the small additional money is worth it to buy the Pro. I will make final decision in January.

12. JB x thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you thinking about the refurb mbp or the unibody mbp?

13. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

The new 2.4 unibody one. I found it on Amazon for 1799 with no taxes. I'm sure they will have this deal in January also. I know I can save money by going with the previous gen, but I really like the new ones and I can afford it.