What goes on behind the scenes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mnsportsgeek, Jun 30, 2011.

1. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

This may sound like a stupid question, but I'm paranoid and am looking for an answer.

What happens to an application if I leave it (not kill it), while it is finishing an operation (the spinning circle in the upper left corner)? Does it finish that operation? or does it stop what it is doing. Let's say, mail is checking for mail and you leave the application while it's checking. Or a page is reloading? stuff like that.

Thanks in advance.

2. mms13 macrumors 6502

Depends how the application is programmed, but generally, backgrounded applications have a finite amount of time to finish performing work, so even if it continues running a task...it will eventually end once it times out.

3. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

Okay, so I have some applications that seem like they are done loading but often times have that spinning circle in the upper left corner. Is that something I should wait for to go away before I close out or am I okay closing out anyways?

My undestanding now is that it doesn't matter and iOS will stop the task if it takes to long to preserve battery.

4. mms13 macrumors 6502

There's really no need to ever wait for an app before you close it. I wouldn't worry about it

5. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816