What goes through your mind looking back on this video from 2007 about the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hal~9000, Sep 13, 2014.

1. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

What goes through my mind is Ballmer is a big fat idiot.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The man is now a billionaire. He can be wrong as often as he wants.

3. miketko macrumors newbie

4. wxman2003 Suspended

5. Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

It is fascinating to see powerful people laugh at things early on which later have the potential to change the world.

Funny how that personal wealth can make anything ok.

Could you elaborate further?

Anything is better than Sterling.

6. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Not really any different than Steve Jobs saying that people wouldn't buy phones larger than the iPhone or tablets smaller than the iPad.

Guess what, people are wrong sometimes. I don't know why people act like it's a scandal or it totally discredits someone when they are.

7. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Ballmer saying "it doesn't appeal to business because it doesn't have a keyboard." Shows he lacked vision.

----------

Very good point.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

9. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

It's always interesting to me to look back and see how incredibly confident people were in their views at the time only for time to prove them dead wrong. Makes you think about the people you interact with now and what strong views of theirs may be proven wrong in the next decade.

10. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Ballmer was always the idiot of the gang back in the 70's and just ran on the coattails of Gates for 40 years. Bill Gates was the brains and was a futurist in his ability to see what was coming. His fault was not caring how he got to those goals. To this day I believe he regrets that philosophy of his younger self.

But Baller always has been, and always will be a moron.

11. accountforit macrumors 6502a

A lot goes through my head;

- It's a normal Microsoft way of thinking. They believe that low cost is the only way to produce a product if you have competition. They have no clue of the old adage "you get what you pay for".

- Microsoft lacks the ability to recognize the market that exists for higher quality products at premium prices.

- They copy Apple after a product does well and never invent products that excel.

- They just flat out suck

I repair and restore my friends Windows PC's all the time because they lack the knowledge to do so. Every time I jump from my Retina MBP to a Windows laptop it feels like I am taking a trip back to the year 2000.....even just considering the software. It's horrible.

12. Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Here you go :)

13. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

Credits to Ballmer. He laughed but did at least acknowledge that it would sell well

14. kerrikins, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

kerrikins macrumors 65816

I disagree, there's a difference between thinking that people won't want large phones and someone not recognising a game changing complete shift in the smartphone industry when he saw it. And there were people at the time who saw the potential.

That said, I agree with the sentiment. Sometimes I wonder about the meetings that must have gone on behind closed doors in 2007, though. There had to have been some worries.

15. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

One could argue that larger screens did change the smartphone industry, and Jobs clearly didn't see the potential in that simple shift.

16. kerrikins macrumors 65816

Oh, I agree that Jobs was wrong, I just don't think that it was as big a shift as the launch of the iPhone was. Smartphones before and after 2007 looked completely different, whereas smartphones before and after the bigger ones came just looked, well, bigger. ;)