What good does upgrading the RAM do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cootersgarage6, Dec 5, 2010.

  1. cootersgarage6, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2010
    #1
    I can upgrade my MBP's ram to 8GB, but what good does that do? and how future proof does it make it?
     
  2. sammich macrumors 601

    sammich

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2006
    Location:
    Sarcasmville.
    #2
    You can run more programs at the same time. Means it accesses the hard drive less when it runs out of free RAM and makes the system overall more responsive. It doesn't increase the overall processing power of your computer, it just lets you do more stuff at once, smoother.
     
  3. sbddude macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2010
    Location:
    Nor Cal, USA
    #3
    If you are asking, maybe it's not needed yet. Memory prices will only go down.

    Use resource monitor to see how much is in use/free for common tasks. IMHO, you only need 8GB for some high end apps and virtual machines.
     
  4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

    Apple OC

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2010
    Location:
    Hogtown
    #4
    some Apps use more Ram ... most people do not need more than 4 :cool:
     
  5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

    dusk007

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2009
    #5
    People who have to ask are rarely in need for 8GB ram. 4GB is more than plenty for most people.
    The average MBP owner probably wouldn't feel the difference between 2 and 4GB RAM. You already need to USE quite a lot of Apps to make use of 4GB. The important thing being to actually use them because if you only switch between 2-3 open apps and have some others running in background you will not feel any page outs.
     
  6. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2010
    Location:
    Southern Ontario
    #6
    hey

    i have 4 GB on my 2010 mbp 15" i7, and when i get minecraft, safari, itunes, iphoto, mail, and skype open all at one i get down to like 17 MB of ram and all of my programs lag pretty bad and it get insane page outs. get istat pro it will help you watch your ram usage
     
  7. GLS macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2010
    #7
    It gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing I have 8GB instead of a measly 4GB....

    I look with pity at my MBA because it will have 4GB forever.....
     
  8. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

    rkaufmann87

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    Location:
    Folsom, CA
    #8
    I totally disagree with this, my uses of my computer are very average however I noticed a nice spike in performance first going from 2GB to 4GB and when prices fell even more to 8GB. My use of my MBP is 90% internet use, the other 10% MS Office type stuff, in other words as mundane as it gets.
     
  9. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

    AdamRock

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2010
    Location:
    Toronto
    #9
    Agreed. if you need to ask if you need to upgrade or not then the answer probably is not.

    but if you found a great deal on the ram then just buy it; its better to be safe then sorry.
     
  10. tunerX Suspended

    tunerX

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2009
    #10
    Maybe you are using leaky apps or apps that require alot of memory?

    Adding memory won't do anything for a person who doesn't need it. And the majority of users have no need.
     
  11. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2007
    #11
    Not really.

    Some people do alot with their machines but don't know the first thing about computers (not saying you guys but still). I know a few photographers and academics with Mac Pros. They use plenty of horsepower for editing and visualization/computation, but their heads would explode if you tried to explain to them the intricaies of RAID or memory usage etc. Some users may not know that their poor or inadequate computing experience is in part due to low memory. Some can't make sense of the activity monitor to guage whether or not their system is paging to disk too often.
    Everyone has to start somewhere.
     
  12. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

    rnelan7

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2009
    Location:
    Boise
    #12
    It will certainly help out system speed when you have many windows and programs open
     
  13. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2009
    #13
    haha, it increases your e-peen!!!!;)

    I think, given the recent push towards 64-bit computing, you might have some sort of safety net as the program usage increases and becomes more resource-consuming. I would get 8GB RAM if my MBP supported it just because I run so many things open at the same time and it's easier than having to relaunch programs over and over again.

    You won't get any speed boosts if you're not over taxing your RAM right now because the RAM will be operating at the same speed anyways.
     

Share This Page