What good is control center bluetooth for connecting?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by eznoh, Oct 3, 2013.

1. eznoh macrumors member

You still have to go to settings to select the device to pair. Seems like the bluetooth icon in control center should take you there or am I missing something?

Mike

2. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Once a device is paired then just flicking Bluetooth on from the Control Center will connect it straight away. The only time i use Bluetooth is for a headset that i only use when in the car and even then not all the time so i dont have Bluetooth on to save a bit of battery. Its paired already so now to connect it all i have to do is bring up the control center on the lock screen, flick Bluetooth on and they connect to each other...saves a load of messing about unlocking and going through menus to do it.

3. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Yep. Also turning it off for battery purposes... Airdrop purposes... I use it often.

4. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

Thats only for the initial setup though.

Once you've paired to the device all you have to do is toggle it from the control panel.

At least this is how it works in my car.

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It's just a on/off toggle not a shortcut to the setting.

6. eznoh thread starter macrumors member

I know that but for "on" I think it should be a shortcut to settings since for bluetooth devices that you keep off like speakers, you have to go there to connect.

Mike

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

What are you basing this on? Even on Android the toggle just turns bluetooth on/off.

8. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

With the shortcuts in recent versions of Android, you can press and hold the icon to go to the relevant settings page.

9. eznoh thread starter macrumors member

That would work!

10. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I agree with the OP. Toggling BT on/off in control center doesn't work when my cars mysteriously can't find the signal. I have to drill down into the settings to find the particular device.

And how is the behavior of an Android phone relevant here? Some of you guys think as long as the "other guy" implements something wrong then somehow it's ok for Apple to do this same. LOL!

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

There is no implementing "wrong". The toggles are on/off switches. I do not know where his expectations of it going into bluetooth settings is coming from considering the closest implementation to this toggle that is not Apple is present in Android and it doesn't do that either. Does Blackberry have a bluetooth toggle that actually goes to bluetooth settings?

12. simontay78 macrumors newbie

13. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

I think at this rate of having more deeper settings adjustment, the entire settings page and apps will end up in Control Centre.......

Then that will bring out brigade of other people who will complain that Control Centre is too cluttered and is cumbersome to use....

14. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

It actually does do that.

Press and hold down on the Bluetooth, Wifi, whatever toggle and it'll take you to the respective settings page.

15. jonAppleSeed macrumors regular

I think that's backwards.

On my Nexus when you tap it goes into settings. If you long press it toggles.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

If by "does" you mean that it actually "doesn't" do that, then, yes, you would be correct then.

17. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

That's a widget type behavior.

18. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Auxo for jailbroken iPhones used to do exactly this - tap the toggle to turn on and off, or press and hold to skip to the settings page.

iOS7 most certainly should have copied that. There also seems to be some weirdness where iOS7 doesn't reconnect to wifi points with http redirects for login pages after the toggle is pressed, or at least takes much longer to do so, unless you go into the full settings section.

That's also most irritating.

19. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

That exists in the, in this case, control panel.

Don't see why more functionality = a bad thing. Other than people just wanting to disagree.

----------

You're correct, its the other way around:

"The second change is a tweak to Quick Settings. You can now long press on the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi squares to use them as actual toggles."

Tapping the toggle takes you to the appropriate settings for bluetooth and wifi. Sorry for the confusion.

20. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just wondering if the iOS framework allows for this type of behavior.