Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
I don't understand the purpose of Time Machine. If my hard drive fails, it doesn't seem like I can boot off the Time Machine'd external hard drive, so what good is it? I don't get it. I thought Time Machine was a clone program. What is it?

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
it's not a bootable backup. it does what average users need - backups their files. most average users don't know what a bootable drive is and would consult Apple or another repair place if their hard drive failed.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
If you want a real (and bootable) recovery solution, try Carbon Copy Cloner. It's free, it's fast, and it'll let you clone your drive and boot from it whenever, wherever.

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
I believe that even though you can't do a complete restore, it backs up all of your files so that you can bring them back onto a restored computer. For instance, if your hard drive failed, your settings won't be preserved by Time Machine, but all of your music, documents, pictures, etc will still be intact, which is really what I care about.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
There are two reasons to backup; hardware failure and user failure. CCC/SuperDuper take care of one and Time Machine the other.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
If my hard drive fails, it doesn't seem like I can boot off the Time Machine'd external hard drive, so what good is it?
You can do a clean install of Leopard to a new drive and at the end of the install routine it will bring all your users/settings/files over from your TM backup.

For instance, if your hard drive failed, your settings won't be preserved by Time Machine, but all of your music, documents, pictures, etc will still be intact, which is really what I care about.
Actually, it keeps all your settings as well. I did a clean install of Leopard with a good Time Machine backup on an external drive. It brought over everything.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I believe that even though you can't do a complete restore, it backs up all of your files so that you can bring them back onto a restored computer. For instance, if your hard drive failed, your settings won't be preserved by Time Machine, but all of your music, documents, pictures, etc will still be intact, which is really what I care about.

I think you can do a complete restore boot off your leopard CD i am pretty sure its in the menus i will double check this right now though.....:D

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Just to follow up i just took pictures with my camera phone because i am too lazy to pull out my SLR.

EDIT: random thought....would it be possible to make time machine editing with system links? Will EFI follow syslinks?

Attachments

• 26-12-072223.jpg
    26-12-072223.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 26-12-072224.jpg
    26-12-072224.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 64

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
So i gave it a shot. I got it to the point where it would recognize it when holding down the option key or in system preferences. However, when i try to boot it has issues loading the kernal....i suspect permission issues. It could be the syslinks though. As i a made a complete copy of the mach kernal files. And i am not sure if i want to go copying permissions around.....i am very tempted to give it a shot. :eek: But i think its possible for apple to make it bootable without a whole lot of work.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Ok, the Powerbook has died....

It simply doesnt boot off the internal. It was going anyway.

However, I do have a Time Machine back up... bit bumed that i cant boot off it...

I do have an idea though... I have another external, so could i simply pull out the folders off the backup folder... then do a CCC to my other external? simply then creating it a bootable backup?

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007

However, I do have a Time Machine back up... bit bumed that i cant boot off it...

I do have an idea though... I have another external, so could i simply pull out the folders off the backup folder... then do a CCC to my other external? simply then creating it a bootable backup?

If it wasn't a bootable backup to begin with, not even CCC will be able to turn it into one. I'd just copy the data off, reinstall, copy it back on, and use a real backup solution from then on (like CCC).

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003

Yes you could do that. Just have both externals plugged in. Boot off the OS X install do a bootcamp restore to the other external drive. :)

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Yes you could do that. Just have both externals plugged in. Boot off the OS X install do a bootcamp restore to the other external drive. :)

ahh... smart...

thing is, what im going to do is do it on the Mac Pro (more firewire 400 ports then)

so really, could do it that way too...

thanks =)

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Well... heres a nice little addition.

Bought a MBP 2.4 15" today, when I started it up, it came up with the transfer file options, in the list... 'transfer data from Time Machine Backup'

Everything that was on the PB is now on the MBP...

Fantastic! (kinda)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.