Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The design of the LG Nexus is growing on me. onthecouchagain, are you thinking about upgrading your GN? $399(8GB)/$449(16GB) would be nice.

I'm waiting for a few things before I jump on board:

1) 32GB version. Will there be one? I hope so.

2) Price drop. Those are already good prices, so this is not a big deal, but I am also in no rush to upgrade as I love my GN. I'm willing to wait a few months to see if a drop happens or if they offer the 32GB at $449 (like what they're doing with the Nexus 7 price/storage shuffle soon).

3) Reviews for the camera. If there's one sore spot of the GN, it's that the camera plain ol' sucks. Unfortunately, early impressions of the Nexus 4 cameras were not that great either (an improvement over the GN, though, of course) so that's a bit disheartening. If the camera isn't significantly better, that makes point #2's price drop all the more relevant to wait for...

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I'm waiting for a few things before I jump on board:

1) 32GB version. Will there be one? I hope so.

2) Price drop. Those are already good prices, so this is not a big deal, but I am also in no rush to upgrade as I love my GN. I'm willing to wait a few months to see if a drop happens or if they offer the 32GB at $449 (like what they're doing with the Nexus 7 price/storage shuffle soon).

3) Reviews for the camera. If there's one sore spot of the GN, it's that the camera plain ol' sucks. Unfortunately, early impressions of the Nexus 4 cameras were not that great either (an improvement over the GN, though, of course) so that's a bit disheartening. If the camera isn't significantly better, that makes point #2's price drop all the more relevant to wait for...

Make sense. Maybe there will be a 32GB version once Google sees the demand for it, like with the Nexus 7. As long as the camera is an improvement on the GN, that's fine by me. But a phone like this really should have iPhone camera quality.

I thought about buying a GN, but the LG will be an improvement on it in every way. 16GB bothers me a little bit, but not a big deal to me.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
One more angle:

nexus-4-render-249x650.jpg

lg-nexus-4-press-650x524.jpg

I'm still a little put off by the chrome, which I think is tacky. I love how seamless the GN looks on the front. The chrome really highlights the frame more than I want. I guess that's nit picking.

I'm accepting the back more and more, especially when viewed as a throwback to the old Nexus live wallpaper.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I can't understand why the AT&T Optimus G is 8mm thin while the Nexus 4 is 9.1mm. They're the same phone!

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I can't understand why the AT&T Optimus G is 8mm thin while the Nexus 4 is 9.1mm. They're the same phone!

Valid question.

I noticed the camera lens case doesn't "pop out" as it does on the Optimus G. I like this.

However, I wish it was thinner too. The S3 was large, but comfortable to hold and use because it was so amazingly thin. And when you put it in your pocket, it just disappears. It's a great feeling.

Ultimately, though, I'm living perfectly fine with the GN's thickness, and the Nexus 4 close enough. And no more bump! (Though I sort of like the bump. It makes pulling the device out of your pocket really easy).

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Valid question.

I noticed the camera lens case doesn't "pop out" as it does on the Optimus G. I like this.

However, I wish it was thinner too. The S3 was large, but comfortable to hold and use because it was so amazingly thin. And when you put it in your pocket, it just disappears. It's a great feeling.

Ultimately, though, I'm living perfectly fine with the GN's thickness, and the Nexus 4 close enough. And no more bump! (Though I sort of like the bump. It makes pulling the device out of your pocket really easy).

What are you running your GN on? T-Mobile? I really almost bought the GN a few months ago, but held off for the new Nexus. It seems like a fantastic phone, but at least I get a new version.

I was sort of against the LG Nexus before, but I'm really liking it now. Can't wait. This might really be the only Nexus.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
What are you running your GN on? T-Mobile? I really almost bought the GN a few months ago, but held off for the new Nexus. It seems like a fantastic phone, but at least I get a new version.

I was sort of against the LG Nexus before, but I'm really liking it now. Can't wait. This might really be the only Nexus.

Tmobile. HSPA+ is a beautiful thing. A perfect compromise of battery life and download speed. Having said that, Tmobile sort of sucks.

It will be the only Nexus smartphone, I'm pretty sure. The only other thing that might pop up is the HTC Nexus 5, but there's been no leaks for a while of that, so even that's unlikely.

The real question, is what will they do with the GN...

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Tmobile. HSPA+ is a beautiful thing. A perfect compromise of battery life and download speed. Having said that, Tmobile sort of sucks.

It will be the only Nexus smartphone, I'm pretty sure. The only other thing that might pop up is the HTC Nexus 5, but there's been no leaks for a while of that, so even that's unlikely.

The real question, is what will they do with the GN...

Where do you live? I'm on Verizon now with a cheap family plan, but obviously I would have to switch to T-Mobile to get the phone I want. I'm moving across the country soon, but it seems T-Mobile has good coverage there. I expect not as good as Verizon (building penetration, amazing signal no matter where you go, etc.) but not unacceptable either. Still a little hesitant to leave Verizon honestly. I have heard good things about HSPA+.

I think if there was another Nexus coming, we would have heard about it. Would be wise to put it out before the end of the year. Maybe the GN will be priced lower, or maybe it makes more sense for Google to discontinue it.

----------

It's interesting that in the renders it just says nexus and there's no sign of Google branding.

That's how it is on the Nexus 7. I think they want to follow that.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Where do you live? I'm on Verizon now with a cheap family plan, but obviously I would have to switch to T-Mobile to get the phone I want. I'm moving across the country soon, but it seems T-Mobile has good coverage there. I expect not as good as Verizon (building penetration, amazing signal no matter where you go, etc.) but not unacceptable either. Still a little hesitant to leave Verizon honestly. I have heard good things about HSPA+.

I think if there was another Nexus coming, we would have heard about it. Would be wise to put it out before the end of the year. Maybe the GN will be priced lower, or maybe it makes more sense for Google to discontinue it.

----------

That's how it is on the Nexus 7. I think they want to follow that.

Yeah I know but I just wasn't expecting it since the prototype said "with Google" so I assumed they were planning on just dropping the "with".

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I think that one will be able to replace the back like one can with the Galaxy S3, so if you don't like the default one you can get one you like :)

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I think that one will be able to replace the back like one can with the Galaxy S3, so if you don't like the default one you can get one you like :)

I hope you're right. That would mean we can replace the battery which I do with my S3 right now and so I don't have to worry about battery life.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The back is love or hate. At first I loved it. Then I hated it. Now, I'm more accepting of it, especially when you consider it's a sort of homage to the original Nexus live wallpaper:

Top-Android-App-Cleaner-Nexus-Live-Wallpaper-Clean.png

----------

Question: why are the front sensors and FCC so far left and right, respectively? :eek:

lg-nexus-4-press-650x524.jpg

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
The back is love or hate. At first I loved it. Then I hated it. Now, I'm more accepting of it, especially when you consider it's a sort of homage to the original Nexus live wallpaper:

----------

Question: why are the front sensors and FCC so far left and right, respectively? :eek:

And where is the LED indicator going to be?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

I don't know whether it's true or not but commenters on android central are saying there will not be a replaceable battery cover and I think they have a point.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351121676829.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351121676829.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 167

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So

we know Nexus 4 (and it's depressing 8GB)
we know JB 4.2
we know Nexus 7 16 & 32GB

Is there going to be 'anything' google surprise us with ? The only thing left is a Nexus 10 and given that everything else has already leaked, it makes me wonder if that will happen as I'd have though we would have had that leaking too.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
probably a stupid question

is this mainly a hardware event?

could it be possible that they announce more google services to be available outside the US

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
MacRumorUser;1613231

we know Nexus 4 (and it's depressing 8GB)
we know JB 4.2
we know Nexus 7 16 & 32GB

Is there going to be 'anything' google surprise us with ? The only thing left is a Nexus 10 and given that everything else has already leaked, it makes me wonder if that will happen as I'd have though we would have had that leaking too.

N4 is going to have a 16GB version as well. I think i posted a link in this thread. Could be elsewhere but i did post one stating that

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.