what GPS does iPad2 have ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aicul, Mar 28, 2011.

1. aicul macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Looking thru the specs of the iPad2 I can ind that it has some GPS capabilities. Actually these vary from the basic to the 3G models as follows :
    • Wi-Fi
    • Digital compass
    • Assisted GPS
    • Cellular
    The latter 2 being only for the 3G models.

However, this is still unclear. Does iPad2 have a true GPS chip in it or does it play around using cell tower localization?

What exactly does "assisted GPS" imply?

2. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

It uses both A-GPS will get you a quick lock by using cell towers, but it still uses a real(Autonomous) GPS chip to poll those satellites, it just does it better since it knows where it is quicker.

Also if cellular coverage isn't available, then it'll fall back on plain old GPS and might take longer to lock on.

3. huskerchad macrumors regular

3G models have for-real GPS in them. Pinpoint location (depending on your reception), etc.

4. aicul thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the knowledgeable input.

The reason I ask is that I want to use it as a car navigation system (the large screen, the ease of use, and other extras when not navigating : music, etc.).

But I do not plan to put in a telephone SIM into it.

So I guess the initial lock may be slow, but then it will be ok?

5. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

This depends also on your car and whether the windows will allow the GPS signal to get through. This is a common problem with most newer cars. I've been in cars where even my handheld Garmin can't get a signal held right against a window.

6. aicul thread starter macrumors 6502a

wow :eek: I'll check that with my iPhone before I run down a pointless street.

Thanks

7. huskerchad macrumors regular

I did in-vehicle navigation with my 3G iPad 1 a few times. It worked fine. I *think* the GPS may be a touch more accurate in the iPad, but that's just general impression. There is a section of the loop around Indy that was widened considerably, and driving on the new section, my phone never thinks I'm off route, but my iPad did a few times. With a precise enough location, I technically was "off route" because that section of road did not exist on the map.

8. goMac macrumors 603

On a non-3G iPad, you will only be able to get a location where there is wifi, and it will be inaccurate.

Only the 3G iPad has real GPS.

You do not have to buy wireless service with a 3G iPad.

A lot of mapping services do require a constant internet connection, however.

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

GPS hardware is only half the equation. The device needs maps to be loaded onto it in order for the GPS to work. If you don't want to maintain a 3G connection then there there are several options for purchasing map sets.