What GPS will the iPad have?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Alectric, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Alectric macrumors regular

I read somewhere that the iPad 3G will be using the original iPhone's GPS chip set. Does this mean that I won't be able to use my Navigon app?

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Same as the iPhone 3G or 3GS. The original iPhone had no GPS chip. Also only the iPad with 3G will have GPS.

3. Alectric thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, Thank You for clearing that up. I was getting a little worried. I thought I was going to have to wait for Ver 2.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

We can't be sure it will have the "same" chip set but the premise of the answer is correct that it will have GPS which the original iPhone didn't.

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I actually didn't realize that only the 3G version is going to offer GPS. This is the same approach then as what is done with iPod Touch and iPhone. I am planning on getting a 3G version anyway, but had I known the above, I wouldn't have even considered getting the WiFi model.

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

What's the source? I would have thought that the GPS might have been a chip they'd think about updating for both the iPhone and the iPad.

To clarify - it's likely the new iPhone 4G and Touches, along with the iPad might get an updated GPS chip.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

In the keynote they said it has there a-gps chip. Which one can only assume there current chip which is in the 3g(s). Tho it's not really there chip but hey it's a great little chip anyway.

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Bit of an assumption. Didn't the 3GS get an updated A-GPS from the A-GPS in the 3G (Hammerhead II and i've forgotten the other).

If Apple could reduce the power used by the GPS, and help improve the GPS sensitivity i'd imagine they'd think on it. Especially as a model comes round but once a year (historically)

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/07/12/every_iphone_3g_chip_named_illustrated_in_detail.html
    3G was a Hammerhead II Infineon

Can't easily find the 3GS right now - seems initially it was unknown. I'd imagine Infineon have new GPS now.

EDit:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2096964&tstart=0

9. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Grammar isn't your friend, is it?

10. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

GPS chip doesn't really matter. It's not like you are going to get some new feature with a new chip. Sure it could be a newer chip that uses less power, a bit faster, etc. In the end the discussion is moot because it will still do the same job of acquiring location and it has to be compatible with the iPhone GPS chip so the apps are compatible.

11. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I'd say it does for the iPhone at least! The GPS can draw enough power to cancel being on charge. The reason to upgrade would be less power, more efficiency, better signal. If a better chips is added, then it'll likely do a better job - by being less of a battery drain etc, for both iPad and iPhone.
    Don't see what compatability for apps is regarding.
    We'll see I guess. But with Apple's faster smaller lighter better style upgrades (not in every area) we might see something.