What gpusize to choose?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hkarlsen, Sep 2, 2005.

  1. hkarlsen macrumors member

    Aug 26, 2005

    My american apple contact informed me that my 15", 1.67 ghz, 1 gb ram 128 mb video card PB, turned out to be an 64 mb PB. He was supposed to ship it to me overseas today, but now I have to choose between getting the 64 ASAP, or waiting again for the 128 mb.

    Im going to use the machine for video editing. Does the GPU size as anything to do with this? On PCs it hasnt, but what are youre thoughts?

  2. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030


    Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    First off, make sure that you are getting a discount if you are stuck with 64MB!

    I only have 32MB VRAM in my PB and mine is fine for video editing but if you had your heart set on the 128 I'd wait for that. How long extra was it to get the 128? I know you'll be terribly excited about getting your computer but if you want to play games really decently or run dual screens, the more VRAM the better. You probably won't notice the difference between 64 and 128 in normal video editing operations but what I'm trying to say is don't just downgrade just on the spur of the moment; give it some thought!!

    I'd wait for the 128MB...
  3. osprey76 macrumors 6502

    May 3, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    If you're not looking to connect to the Apple 30" display, you'll be fine. Double check here:


    They do a lot of useful benchmarks. I know they have compared the 64MB and 128MB cards. As I recall, there was little difference between the two. However, the 128MB variant has the Dual Link DVI to drive a 30" screen.
  4. hkarlsen thread starter macrumors member

    Aug 26, 2005
    Thanks for reply!

    I had to take the decision before any replies came, and I went for the 64 mb. Im buying this for film studies (which have already begun, so I need it asap), I dont need games on it, and I have dualscreens G5 at the school. Very reassuring to learn about no performance issues on video editing. Of course, I would prefer the 128, but im getting a refund for the downgraded PB. All ok.

    Thanks for great input!


Share This Page