What graphics cards can I get for a Mac Pro (Early 2008)?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by darkpaw, Nov 3, 2009.

1. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

Hi all,

I need a new graphics card for my Mac Pro (2x2.8 Quad, Early 2008). It has to have a DisplayPort connection as I'm getting a new 24" Apple LED Display.

I know the Radeon 4870 is out, and I don't mind the £280 cost from Apple, but this card has been available for quite a while now, and I was wondering if there are any new ones coming up?

I think the GT 120 is a re-branded 9500, so I don't really want that, and I do play games sometimes :)

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The simple answer is the 4870 is the solution.

Previous history in regards to graphics cards would indicate nothing new until the 2010 Mac Pro which, based on current information, will probably come in the second quarter of 2010.

3. darkpaw thread starter macrumors 6502

darkpaw

I got the ATI Radeon HD 4870 today. Man, it's a BEAST of a card! Huge and weighty!

And the Apple Store's Refurbs section had a 24" LED Cinema Display going for £499 so I just had to get it :)

They are awesome together!!!

Thanks for your help, guys. It's appreciated.

4. darkpaw thread starter macrumors 6502

darkpaw

I think I spoke too soon... The LED Cinema Display just died, after about only a day's use. I know it was a refurb, but seriously... ONE DAY?!

White smoke and a bad plasticky smell came out of the left-side speaker below the screen, and directly onto the lid of my MBP!

Will call AppleCare in the morning and get a working one shipped to me asap.

It was lucky I was in front of the screen when it happened. I got the MBP out of there pronto, and unplugged the display. Imagine what could've happened if I'd been out of the room, or at work like I was for most of today.

Given this, do you think I should demand that Apple ship me a new one (i.e. not a refurb)? I really don't think I'll ever want to leave it plugged in again.