What graphics chip is likely in updates?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gangst, Aug 19, 2008.

1. gangst macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I am waiting to purchase a MacBook Pro, I am in no hurry and want to get the most modern available to futureproof my purchase as much as the possible.

Seeing as the current MacBook Pro's have 8600GT graphics and there are reports of the chips failing, I assume it is likely that Apple will change the chipset. Will they likely go for the nVidia 8700M GT or even better 8800M GTX which is currently available in Alienware laptops?

I ask as I plan to use some graphic heavy apps and also play some games via bootcamp.

Thanks for any replies.

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

8800M GTX? WAYYYY too hot. This thing is "one inch thin". Of course, the desktop 8800GTX's reference cooler is only about an inch thick too, so, maybe if they dumped the optical drive, they could replace it with a giant-*** windtunnel, and voila!

*watches the I-need-a-huge-amount-of-graphics-because-I-don't-realize-the-decent-cards-are-so-powerful-they-are-all-the-same-unless-you-are-playing-crysis people go nuts thinking this is a plausible idea*

(The attached photo is a Quadro 5600, but you get the idea. All the high-end ATI and Nvidia cards have stock coolers like that)

Attached Files:

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If the computers are already too hot for most people, why would they use a 8800 + GPU?!

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

5. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

Unless Apple is pissed at Nvidia over the whole GPU issue recently, I doubt they will switch back to ATI. Companies normally don't switch back and forth, doesn't convey good business practices. Expect another Nvidia product.

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

apparently you dont pay attention to other apple products...does the imac with the Radeon 2600 pro mean anything?

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just got word: It's going to be a 3dfx VooDoo6 6800M

8. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

I feel the same way.

No. It doesn't work like that. nVidia's cards have an XXX0 naming scheme, where the first X is the generation (8), the second two is the family (generally 400, 600 or 800), the suffix (i.e. GT, GTX) is the model.

An X400 is a low-end card, X600 is a mid-range card, and an X800 is a high-end card. Apple has never used (or even offered) a high-end card in any laptop (and have never used a high-end card as a standard card in any model of computer ever). They always used mid-range cards.

An 8700 is half-way between mid-range and high-end, but it runs too hot for a MBP.

Most likely are either a 9600 GT, Radeon 3650, or Radeon 3670. Personally, I hope it's a 3670, but if they thin it out it might well be a 3650 (or worse).

Btw, the 9600 GT (and 8700 GT, and 8800 GTX, for that matter) are all affected. It looks like most if not all recent laptop (and possibly desktop) nVidia cards are affected by the defective dies.

Good luck with that without a workstation graphics card.

My pleasure.

Lol.

I assume that's a joke.

Apple's been using ATI since 1997. They never stopped using them, and as the above poster as pointed out to you, they definitely offer Radeons almost across the board with the iMacs, and it's standard on the Mac Pro. They've been going back and forth between ATI and nVidia for years on the PB/MBP.

9. isauce macrumors regular

isauce

I really hope Apple will opt for ATI the next revision.

10. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

effing SWEET:D

[​IMG]

has its own power supply and everything:p

11. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

That's the VooDoo 5 6000 =p

But yeah, that was one awesome card.

Well, <i>that</i> one wasn't... the prototypes that early didn't work and they had to remake it... but yeah. Still no T&L engine, lol...

3dfx forever! :)

12. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

yup, but close enough:cool:

13. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

14. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

...they didnt know WHAT a 3d laptop chip was back in those days:p