What great [free] software is available to rip my CD's?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Imola Ghost, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I'm new to mac's and have been contemplating if I should rip all of my CD's to Apple Lossless. I'd like to have a perfect copy [backup] of each CD. Although I'd prefer to use FLAC since it's open source and not tied to a certain company like Apple, but since I am fully using mac's now...Apple makes it hard to enjoy FLAC files. I feel as though I'm an audiophile so the quality needs to be top notch.

That being said I think I'm ready to just jump ship and rip to Apple Lossless. Is iTunes any good at doing this or is there something better? I'd prefer to be able to change some ID Tags before it rips the CD. I'd also like to be able to decide what ID Tags and how they are ripped.

Any help?

2. Forsaken macrumors regular

Forsaken

You can rip using iTunes (if you have Lossless, MP3, whatever files) but you can use the plugin Fluke (http://blowintopieces.com/fluke/) to play FLACs in itunes.

3. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

I've read about Fluke, however I believe there was some problems with tagging and what not. The reason I'm wanting to jump ship is that I'm wanting to put together a future media server and didn't want to run into any problems later on and would rather everything play happily together without any hiccups.

4. Forsaken macrumors regular

Forsaken

Ah, then I don't really know.

5. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

I just experimented with ripping a CD to iTunes using Apple Lossless. WHat I found was that:

1) I had no way of changing the track numbers to 00, 01, 02, 03, etc.

2) it didn't automatically add the album artwork. I had to go back to the album once it was done importing to the library and then add the album artwork.

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

7. Sergeant Pepper macrumors member

I agree. You can set all the metadata and album art prior to ripping the CD, and it supports iTunes import.

8. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys for the recommendation. However, since I'm new to mac's I don't see "Apple Lossless" in the list to encode to? I see that you can "add" some new encoders but not sure how/where to get the one for Apple Lossless unless it's named something different in this application.

Also, how do I set it up to encode the following:

I'd like the ARTIST NAME as the folder. Then inside of the ARTIST NAME folder, I'd like to have each album that I have of the artist and then name the actual file as TRACK NUMBER-TRACK NAME

So it would look like this:

PEARL JAM [folder name]
    TEN [folder name]
    TRACK NUMBER-TRACK TITLE

9. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Try XLD, I use it to rip CD's into Apple lossless. Not sure it can do the more advanced things you want, but try since I haven't checked for them it might be able to do everything you want.

http://tmkk.hp.infoseek.co.jp/xld/index_e.html