What Hapened to my PowerMac G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by meezvzw, Jul 21, 2010.

1. meezvzw macrumors newbie

Ok, so i have this old PowerMac, i put it in my attic about a month ago because i got a Macbook Pro, anyway, so today i brought it down so i could set it up for a friend. I turned it on and the screen wouldnt work, the chime still went off, everything ran, everything worked except the screen. I opened it and pressed the two reset buttons which names escape me... I put a different hard drive in there, replaced the ram. and pressed those two reset buttons again... But this time, when i turn it on, it gives me 3 beeps, so i replace the ram again, like google search links told me to. Then i turn it on, and the chime sounds and right after, its staticy for a second. And still no screen. I cant figure it out. Ideas?

P.S. My Attic is climate controled to the temp of the house, so it couldnt have been weather, or animals...

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Probably a bad video card. Do you have another you can test in it? Also, you shouldn't be pressing the PMU reset button carelessly like that. You can actually crash the PMU by doing so. Only press it if you have reason to believe its going to fix the problem, and don't press it more than once.

3. meezvzw thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont press it carelessly, it doesnt turn on after i add new ram, or video card, or hard drive, so i have to press it take it turn on again. And, i have a 3 kitchen moving boxes with old computers in it, about 5 in total, i could search though, but its highly unpreferable. Its in the back of the attic:/. But i am really curious about this static sound, because it only happens when i turn it on, if i press the reset button on the case, it doesnt make static noises

4. DeeGee48 macrumors regular

DeeGee48

G4 System Issues

I've been having some really weird issues lately with my G4 system. Everything seems to have righted itself except for one thing. Suddenly the system is not recognizing one of the SATA PCI cards and the two drives attached to it. Was working fine before. Any ideas?

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009