What happend to the G6 or powerpc?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Airforcekid, Nov 19, 2008.

?

Did Apple make the right choice?

1. yes Intel is great.

96.8%
  2. No Apple needed to stay with the G series!

3.2%
  1. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

:apple:I know Intel replaced them and it allows windows but still I think Apple shouldn't have stopped the G series. Is there an exact reason?:apple:

2. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

They were too slow and too hot for use in laptops and Intel offered a better roadmap...

3. David G. macrumors 6502a

"Performance per watt" Google it for full details. There wasn't much if any progress for mobile applications in this regard. This is why Apple couldn't make a G5 PowerBook, they would have had too have been very thick or you would have to accept a laptop burning through your legs.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

a bit late. i know how this poll is going to end up…

Apple mainly focuses on notebook CPUs and chipsets as all Macs except the Pro use them. it wasnt that the G5 was slow the Power PCs used to be faster than the Pentiums.

its just the G5 was a little oven and had a low performance per watt and Apple thought the Intel roadmap was better for Macs. the Intel Core series now spank the Power PCs but they are more targeted at Consumer and enthusiasts are the Power PCs are really good for server computing.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

what ever can your reason be? seriously

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

let the Geekbench scores decide for you :p

Mac Pro Intel Xeon 5130 2.0 GHz (4 cores) - 3855 (first Mac Pro)
    Power Mac G5 (Late 2005) PowerPC G5 2.5 GHz (4 cores) - 3290 (last Power Mac)

MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo T2400 1.8 GHz (2 cores) - 2284 (first MacBook Pro)
    PowerBook G4 (15-inch 1.67/1.5 GHz) PowerPC G4 1.7 GHz (1 core) - 922 (last Power Mac)

7. sixfingeredman macrumors newbie

I already have a laptop than burns through my legs. It's called a MacBook Pro.

8. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

The PowerPC G6 chip is currently used to heat small artic villages and is soley responsible for the rise in global tempratures over the past few years, nothing to do with CO2 at all.

in all seriousness these things were going to run HOT and would spin electric meters so fast they'd take off, as somone said before google it.

another advantage of intel chips is the dual boot and virtualisation capabilities we now have

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

Intel is also continuing to develop their products. There was almost no development being done on the PowerPC chip; it was ony Apple pushing the chip makers that even kept it alive.

Intel chips are more commodity, so the cost is lower and support glue chips easier to get.

10. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

It was a cross between 64bit computing and Commodore 64. It was just dying technology with no money in it for IBM to improve it.

11. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Though I do agree with Apple moving to intel. Since there was no visible laptop future. IBM was not interested in adapting their Power 4 for laptops. Mainly because Apple was just about the only customer and not worth the engineering.

However, it always bothered me that their was no G6. As the Power 5 was around for quite a while when the G5 was still being made. This would have made the powermac more competitive with AMD machines of the time (I mention AMD since their CPU's pawned the Intels of the time).

Since Apple was making liquid cooled G5's I don't think they cared about performance per watt. This was not even talked about yet, aside from laptops I see this as an excuse for poor performance in desktops. I suppose the biggest reason for no G6 would have been the vast difference between their laptops and desktops. How could you sell a G4 Powerbook when you had G6 Powermac Power 5 desktops with 5 processors?

12. spice weasel macrumors 65816

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I think switching to intel is great! However I find myself wasting too much time playing games instead of doing something more productive...

I saw a box in an elevator! It says: cold winter? Use the G6 to heat up a village! Releasing next Tuesday with a more snappier experience!