What happend to the unibody macbook aluminum?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by xoggyux, Jun 17, 2009.

1. xoggyux macrumors 6502

I just entered apple site and they only show the "old fashion" plastic macbook, I cannot find the aluminum unibody :(, are they going to stop selling/making them? :(

2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

3. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Where have you been? Look in the MacBook Pro section.

5. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

They tacked Pro onto it's name and now it's supposed to be better or something.

6. ahjjones Guest

Exactly :p

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

...and believe me, marketing worked. (There are an amazing amount of customers out there that think the 13" "MacBook Pro" is more powerful than the MacBook it replaced)

8. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Should have always been a Macbook Pro anyway imo

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

They added firewire 800, SD card reader, better screen, 8GB ram option, slight processor bump. That adds up to more powerful in my book.

10. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

Still, there is one model that is not more powerful.

11. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

And it removes digital audio in, a key component for audio/video Pros. It's still very much a consumer machine.

12. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

The entire MBP line up are consumer machines..... They became consumer machines when they first released the unibodies and PC manufactures start releasing pro machines.

BTW I thought audio/video pros use firewire for their devices????

13. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

14. iMouse macrumors regular

Not true

The new audio port does double-duty as analog/digital/optical in AND out.

A very attractive machine for the price I might add...

:D

Correction:

...maybe not if read closer. Only analog in? How do you get user-selectable analog in/out, but not digital or optical?

15. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Which means if you need both in and out simultaneously, which some "pro" applications do, you're screwed.

16. harcosparky macrumors 68020

It is better! ;)

Well let me say this ....

We just bought a new 13" Macbook Pro, my daughter initially thought she wanted the white Macbook. After playing with both of them at the Apple Store she decided she wanted the Macbook Pro.

What sold her??? The trackpad.

I thought Apple would have put the new Trackpad on the new Macbook, but they didn't.

I have a feeling the " Macbook " is living it's last few days and that in the next be update ( new processors ) the " Macbook " will go away and something new will arrive.

Thinking ( Touch Screen Tablet 12" )

What Apple did by placing the 13" aluminum notebook in the Macbook PRO lineup was atone for its sin of the past. Dropping the 12" notebook from the upper end was a sin !!!!

17. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

I love the people who take it so personally that the unibody macbooks were updated and rebranded macbook pros.

I love it even more when all those people collaborate on forums and convince themselves that people with a 13" macbook pro aren't as 'pro' as those with a 15" or 17" macbook pro.

Get over it.

18. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Bro, what rock have u been hiding under.. hehe

19. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Some people believe that the tool makes the professional.

Tell that to all the programmers pulling down six figures coding on iBooks/Macbooks !!! :lol:

20. harcosparky macrumors 68020

ROFLMAO

There hasn't been a PC/Windows Pro notebook made in years. There was a time when the definition of a PRO notebook was clearly defined.

Let's just say that years ago, if you worked in the IT/Networking field you had to have a Pro Notebook to run the networking OS from Microsoft. ( Windows NT/2000 ) those OS's required that all the hardware in a notebook be tested and certified to run the specific OS.

Microsoft published an Hardware Compatibility List ( HCL ) that listed all devices certified to operate under NT/2000. If you custom built a machine you had to run Microsofts NT Harwdware Qualification utility ( NTHQ ) and it would querie the hardware to confirm it met the qualification and was on the HCL.

Try loading Windows NT/2000 on an HP Pavillion notebook back then, it MIGHT run or NOT !!!!! If you wanted to run Windows NT/2000 on an HP notebook you had to buy an HP Omnibook. You could NOT buy this notebook in any consumer outlet such as Best Buy, Circuit City, COMPUSA, and the like. I know because years ago I tried to get an Omnibook from COMPUSA. HP would not allow them to sell them.

I'd love to see a clearly written definition of a " professional " notebook today.

By the way I bought my first Apple Notebook ( G4 Powerbook ) looking for a decent notebook after getting out of the IT field. This was when I attempted to get an Omnibook from Circuit City.

Recently I looked at the offerings in the Windows world .... sadly there are no " pro " notebooks there either!!!!!

EDIT: By the way I know several people who still work in the IT field ..... what notebooks do they use???? APPLE Macbook / Macbook Pro - since switching to INTEL and being able to run Windows natively they are the best notebooks for running Windows. Oh yeah, they " look " professional as well !!!!!

21. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

The term "Pro" or "professional" is merely a word. What's on the inside is what counts...

Now let me clarify that I was talking specifically about the Audio/Video/Creative field. Just take a gander at the Dell M6400 or the Lenovo W700. These machine sport workstation graphics and quad core CPU's in a notebook form factor. So yes it's fair to say that PC manufactures have made higher end performance ("pro") notebooks, tailored to audio/video professionals who need raw computing power on the go.

So now let go back to your definition of "pro", So you basically saying that a "pro" machine is not a "pro" machine unless it runs Windows NT/2000, that there needs to be a hardware compatibility list in order to run software on a given notebook, or that the general public cannot get?

22. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

When was that? "Pro" is marketing hype... nothing more. Always has been, always will. After all, who wants to admit to being a lowly amateur?

If you rely on this word to imply some kind of universal superiority over other products then you're just like the other lemmings here and deserve what you get.

23. tiartrop macrumors regular

So, if I want to ask questions about my unibody macbook do I have to, like, post on the Pro forum now...? :confused:

It's kinda funny here with my timezone the announcement happened during my sleeping hours so I got up in the morning and found out they all turned "pro" overnight.

24. ahjjones Guest

Welcome to the club!

Of course not! Did your MacBook magically transform into a MacBook Pro because the upgrades happened? I don't think so. :p Now your part of an exclusive club. The MacBook Collectors Edition club. Sorry, I had to do it. :D

25. tiartrop macrumors regular

Sounds better :D happy to be part of it!