What happened here? (&nojs=1 Craziness)

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by thegoldenmackid, Dec 20, 2009.

1. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Anyone else notice getting these errors on threads?

I refreshed them and the went away. The URL seemed strange: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=837727&nojs=1

I notice:
    Display Mode Box
    Colors Went Different

Edit: Seems to occur when adding "&nojs=1" to the end of any thread.

Attached Files:

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The nojs suffix means no javascript.

Check your browser settings to confirm if your javascript is working correctly.

3. thegoldenmackid thread starter macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You were right I definitely needed to update my Java, but it had no effect regarding why the no Javascript led to that.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The thread tools box and a few other items on the page are controlled by javascript. If there is an issue it switches to the mode nojs=1 where the javascript elements are not used. The "issues" you described are exactly this.

Now the question is why did you get to this page? How did you navigate to the thread in question? Did restarting your browser solve this?

Also Java ≠ javascript.

5. thegoldenmackid thread starter macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'm not sure how I got there, restarting the browser and updating the javascript didn't do anything in terms of showing those boxes when not in "&nojs=1" mode.

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

No software needs updating. The forum software thought, for some reason, that your browser had Javascript turned off so it send a version of the page that avoided using Javascript for features like the "Thread Tools" menu. I've found myself in that mode now and then too.

7. thegoldenmackid thread starter macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Thanks Q.

8. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

FWIW, I just got to this kind of page (&nojs=1). It happened when I clicked a link to a thread from google.

9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

For future reference, Java and javascript are not the same thing. You can't update your javascript engine unless you update your browser. It's built-in.

Java is a separate development platform/programming language/runtime environment used mostly for stand-alone multi-platform applications (like Limewire, etc).