What Happened to Apple? Which Watch to Get?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by FSMBP, Sep 7, 2016.

1. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

This is just confusing; I'm a techy and found this overwhelming selection of Apple Watches annoying. Is the Nike one an Apple Watch one series? What is going on.

Attached Files:

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

3. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Showing 5 watches for 2 gens of products is confusing. Reminds me of Apple's product line in 1996, before Jobs did his magic.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Are you new to :apple:Watches? Other then the Series 1 (which is easy to understand), Niki band and replacement Edition it is about the same line up.

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I agree. The options and lineup were pretty confusing for the Original Apple Watch, this is now just a mess. I think their website simplifies it, though.

6. KPOM macrumors G5

Except fashion isn't like tech. People like choice.

7. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

The Nike watch is Series 2 with special bands and special watch faces.

It appears everything else is the same...
    --- Post Merged, Sep 7, 2016 ---
    I think the nike bands are kinda fun looking! I'd wear them when working out!

8. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I'll agree -- it's a hell of a lot of options.

Wristwatches are all about personalization (you should see Seiko's product range!), but I think Apple should say goodbye to the first-gen "Series 1" model.

9. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

It does seen a bit odd that they are going to sell a series 1 and series 2... kind of....

but whatever gets apple more money!

10. svepo macrumors newbie

svepo

The iPhone 7 page is also very confussing, in my eyes, this year.

11. chabig macrumors 68040

They are pretty much all the same watch, and they are all new. The main difference is that series 2 has GPS, a brighter display, and is swimming resistant.

12. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

They do exactly the same with iPhones and iPads. iPhone 6/+, iPad Air2/Mini2 are also still on sale added to the new models. It's called choice.

I find the new store sites e.g. for the Watch much better. You click on what you prefer from left to right. I mean, how easy can it get?

13. aristobrat macrumors G5

Remember the iPod days back when Steve was around, esp when there were 2 gens of the iPod touch being sold at the same time? o_O

When they switched from this version of the shuffle over to the square one was pretty messy/confusing looking too, IMO.

Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 7.35.55 AM.png

14. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Maybe true; their marketing is still confusing. They could have two main categories; Apple Watch Series 1 and Apple Watch Series 2. A
    I think the graphic you showed at least explains everything in a clean fashion and the naming scheme for the iPods were a lot more clearer.

15. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

Series 1 and first-gen are two different watches. The Series 1 has a new processor.

http://www.apple.com/apple-watch-series-1/

16. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I’m looking at my first Apple Watch purchase and initially I did find the options convoluted. But what I really don’t get is I hear endless talk about all the available bands but when making your purchase you are stuck with what Apple decides you should have. On top of that I would think the most popular option would be the aluminum model with the solid band, but no, Apple slaps the woven band on it. Want the solid band? Then pony up another $180 for the stainless steel model you don't need. It’s like they are forcing you to buy another band separately.

17. KPOM macrumors G5

The Series 1 is just there to preserve a price point (i.e. it serves the same function as the iPhone SE or 6s as of next week).

They have actually simplified the convention by no longer making a distinction between the "Sport" and "Watch." All models, aluminum and stainless steel, are now lumped into Series 2. Hermes, Nike, and Edition (the ceramic) are separate lines, but Hermes and Nike are partnerships and Edition is quasi-luxury.

18. lauramayer macrumors regular

lauramayer

That new ceramic watch looks sexy. :)