What happened to Apple's online Tech Specs?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tbob, Oct 17, 2013.

1. tbob macrumors newbie

Has anyone else been annoyed by the changes made to Apple's website in the Support > Tech Specs area? You used to be able to search by model number or serial number, but no more (at least not that I can find). You have to clunkily search through pages and pages of huge thumbnails

http://support.apple.com/specs/

When you go to that page, the first thing it gives you is a "Featured Tech Specs" page. What??? What does that even mean!? Is this some web template they used that has 'featured items' as a default? Why would anyone want tech specs for anything other than an item they own or are shopping for, and are looking for specifically?

Seems like this is a situation where they made things look prettier at the expense of the function.

I'd like to know if other people have noticed this, if I'm missing something, or if there are benefits to this layout that I'm just not seeing.

Here's a typical problem situation: I have an iPod Touch. I have no idea what model year the ipod touch is, but I'm curious what the screen resolution is. If I go into the iPod Touch's Settings > General > About section, I can find the model number and serial number -- however, this still does not help me find the tech specs on Apple's new site.

Thoughts?

2. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Seems like they are trying to push their latest products with it now.

3. MeUnix, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013

MeUnix macrumors 6502

There is a search feature; if you click the "Browse by Product" box there is a search bar. If you type your serial number into the Search bar it will bring up your product.

I would also assume that they have featured tech specs for people who are shopping for a new Mac or a new iPhone, probably aimed at people who don't really know what they're looking for.

4. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Screenshot shows your name.