Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macagain

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
I could have sworn this option was not there in Lion (i.e. there was dynamic graphics switching)... or am I smoking something?

This is an early 2011 mbp 15...

Anyone else see this?

lermal

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2007
Florida
Go to: :apple: -> System Preferences -> Energy Saver and "Automatic graphics switching" is at the top.

Rocky244

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
I could have sworn this option was not there in Lion (i.e. there was dynamic graphics switching)... or am I smoking something?

Anyone else see this?

Yea, I just noticed mine is missing too.

It is replaced by the old "better battery life" and "higher performance" options.

I don't get it... It would almost makes sense if better battery life was dynamic switching and higher performance meant always discrete... but I noticed even on higher performance I'm still sometimes using integrated. That means that there is no way to force the dedicated card at all times (without gfxcard of course).

Ole'schooliBook

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2011

Anyone else see this?

That's strange...I have the same machine, with gfxcardstatus installed and it still shows the "automatic graphics switching" checkbox at the top of the "energy saver" tab of System Preferences.

Weird.

Rocky244

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
I just noticed where the difference is, and I'm still very confused.

Turns out when the computer is plugged in, you have two options:
- Better Battery Life
- Higher Performance

When the computer is unplugged it shows:
- Automatic switching...

Which is fine, I just don't understand why the option for "Better Battery Life" exists when you are plugged into the wall... Furthermore I don't understand the difference between the two separate settings menus, or why the menu changes depending on power status...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.