What happened to FaceTime becoming an industry standard?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, May 17, 2011.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

When the iPhone 4 was announced, apple said that FaceTime was going to be an open standard and that other devices would adopt it. What happened? It would be cool to FaceTime some droid users etc. I shouldn't have to pay attention what phone the other person has.

2. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Google Talk was an open standard first based on Jabber. Apple decided to make their own "open standard" so you could ask why Google should use Apple's standard rather than vice versa.

3. Skika macrumors 68030

They didnt set a date, so maybe in the future

4. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

For Apple devices it is.
    Skype is pretty much it now.

5. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Probably because facetime hasn't taken off, and there are better options out there as it is. Apple does not bring anything new to the table or make a compelling reason why facetime is better.

7. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

It won't happen, for a while.

I guess you read the tech article in CNN?

Looks like other companies in the industry don't want to make FaceTime an industry standard. Moreover, seems like Apple was underestimating the succession of FaceTime and so looked to other mobile platforms to acquire the standard. However, with iPads, iPhones, iPod Touches, and Macs using FaceTime, Apple isn't have any issues with it.

So i don't think we'll be seeing an industry standard unfortunately, especially after the latest acquisition of Skype by Microsoft things are only going to get more difficult.

8. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

AT&T happened. They set data limits that forced Facetime to be WiFi only. If it was 3G enabled (can be done via Jailbreak) it would be used a lot more cause its pretty darn easy to use.

9. iFiend macrumors 65816

This.

10. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

It'll probably catch on at the same time as mini-displayport...

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That really doesn't answer the question at all.

From what I read, when Steve said that no one at Apple knew about it. So that's when they started working on such a thing. It's entirely possible that the processes of preparing it would take more than a year.

So I wouldn't count it out quite yet.

12. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

Haha, and former Firewire... :D

13. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

What are these better options? I've used Tango, Skype, Fring, and Yahoo Messenger and they all suck compared to FaceTime. Tango is the best of the rest.

14. Gucci macrumors newbie

Apples and their stupid closed sourced crAPPS.

Get google talk instead, a free open industry standard.

15. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

FaceTime should have been iChat. It stinks that I can only chat 1 on 1 with FaceTime when I could be chatting with multiple family members.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

thing is Apple standards more than likely are not free and Apple has some pretty tight rules on its so called "Open standards"

also found this on wiki

17. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I agree and I hope that they move towards it. Fring just updated their services to allow that.

I still feel FaceTime is the best video chat app I've used on a phone. Not saying FaceTime is bees knees but the video quality is the better than everything else, and yes i used all of them on 3G and Wifi

18. TheSideshow macrumors 6502

19. Born Again macrumors regular

Lol - good zing

Good point

Honestly it's funny how we wanted an iPad with FaceTime but nobody uses it

It makes my face look fat lol

I haven't even had FaceTime sex :(

20. collisos macrumors member

I think that if facetime is going to be restricted to wifi there needs to be some way to see whether or not someone is available for a facetime (aka they're on wifi).

21. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

Too difficult and you'd need a stand to hold iPhone at a distance...

22. mack pro macrumors member

That's why texting is so popular. Facetime is never gonna take off that's why Apple isn't advertising it as much.

23. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

I think the first step for video chat on phones to become more commonplace in general is for wireless carriers to increase the availability of high speed data connections. People don't want to be limited to wifi when video chatting, and as of right now the video chatting experience on 3g (and some 4g where available) is inconsistent at best. As for facetime becoming an industry standard I don't see that every happening as there is no reason or incentive for other manufacturers to adopt it.

24. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Just give it time. Once Microsoft screws with Skype and molds it to its own quality standards, FaceTime will begin looking much more attractive.

25. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

"Open" is not the same as "free" or "unencumbered". Devs are probably NOT flocking to make facetime video chat apps because Apple has a long history of banning apps that "duplicate functionality".

Apple also likes to play hardball with their stuff (in this case, their facetime protocol, their servers and their device users). If I were a dev looking to make money or grab market share, I do not think that iOS would be among my initial choices for targeted platforms because an integrated solution for video chat already exists there and the users would be unlikely to give my product a shot.