What happened to Gevey?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BauerKirk, Jan 2, 2015.

1. BauerKirk macrumors newbie

I have been searching the Net trying to find out what happened to Gevey with no joy...their websites are down, the furiousMod repository is down, and naturally I discovered all this when my Ultra S came in to SIM-unlock the rooted Verizon US iPhone 4s. And it doesn't help that no matter how I craft the searches, almost any search on the 4s (jailbreaking, unlocking, etc.) delivers mostly pages from 2012 and before...

So does anyone know what happened to Gevey?

2. 5enohpi macrumors regular

5enohpi

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No reason to use Gevey when we can unlock it for good.

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

Permanent unlocks from the carriers and third party sites have made the Gevey almost useless. The only use for it these days is for Sprint phones or bad ESN devices. So the bottom line is that no one cares about them anymore.

5. blueflower macrumors 6502

Is that really it? Or is it that competitor R-Sim is an easier approach? I will know soon since there is no permanent unlock solution for my 5s so I will use a R-Sim mini to "unlock"

6. BauerKirk thread starter macrumors newbie

First, let me thank everyone for their replies.

Then let me note that while everyone has in one fashion or another told me how useless the Gevey is, that wasn't my question. I asked if anyone knew what happened to the company. If anyone knows that, it would be great.

FWIW, I cannot get a carrier unlock from Verizon US that unlocks the 4s for other US GSM carriers for a phone I (actually my wife) was given since I haven't had an account with Verizon since analog cellphone days and the person who gave her the phone no longer has a Verizon US account, either. Before I pitch the phone (and with all the other hassles I've experienced with this thing I'm already pretty close to it), I thought I'd try an inexpensive unlock device so my wife can use it on her AT&T US account. But I carefully did not ask anyone here for help with the Gevey device, or for help unlocking the phone - I simply asked if anyone knew what happened to the company that produced this particular device, and that was after doing as much web research as I could.

If it was a mistake to ask that specific question in this forum, I apologize. But it has been something of an education, I admit.

7. IrishVixen, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015

IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Well, the last two posters have pretty much nailed it, I think. Back in the days of the iPhone 4, once we passed the first baseband (which was pretty much the last one unlockable via jailbreak & ultrasn0w), Gevey was all over the place, and probably made plenty of money as they were about the only option available. Getting the carriers to unlock during that era was darn near impossible.

But once paid unlocks became both common and (for a time) super cheap, Gevey pretty much faded from the scene. if their site is gone, the repo for the JB mod is gone, and there's no Gevey interposer available for phones later than the iPhone 5, it's a logical conclusion that they've gone out of business. Very, very few people on this forum mention any kind of SIM interposer anymore, and those that do tend to be talking about the R-SIM interposer previously mentioned. Most of us who unlock either do it directly through the carrier, buy new unlocked models at full price, or pay for unlock through online vendors such as SwiftUnlocks.

If they are still in business, it probably isn't worth it to them financially to update/maintain the software tools that were required for the 4/4S version as similar tools are not used with their last known model for the iPhone 5.

TL;DR: Gevey probably stopped making money due to all the alternatives available in the last two years.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I felt like your question was more or less answered when people stated the product is now useless. Once your product becomes obsolete you either create something else people want, or you go belly up. I am guessing the latter is what happened, especially since there is no trace of the company anywehre online (your own words) for years now.