What happened to iOS air printing?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by WissMAN, Jun 3, 2011.

1. WissMAN macrumors regular

WissMAN

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

So the air printing option for the iPhone and iPad seems to have lost momentum. At one point all sorts of printers (new & old) would've added...

I see this initiative slowly fading out. No?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Its still around and active and functional as ever.

3. Mawal macrumors regular

I installed printopia on my mac and Air print works like a charme ever since...

4. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Yup. Printopia makes all printers work with Air Print.

5. Tedddman macrumors member

I think the OP is asking when the iPad will have an actual true printing utility that doesn't involved piggybacking onto a host computer or specialized printer hardware?

Hopefully it will be revealed next Monday as part of iOS 5. It's beyond pathetic that the iPad still can't even natively print to a bonjour enabled printer attached to an Airport Extreme usb port. It should be able to print to any networked printer on the market just like a regular computer by now.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

And where is the iPad going to store printer drivers for the thousands of network/USB printers that are in use in the world? Bonjour isn't a way to print, its a way to discover printers. On Mac 10.6, all the default drivers take up a few Gb of space. iOS will always need special Airprint printers or a middle computer to handle the printing process.

7. archdelux macrumors 6502

Any free similarly functional programs?

8. Tedddman macrumors member

Nah. They will just allow you to add the one specific driver you need for your printer to the iPad.

Or allow a generic driver that works with 95% of printers out there. There are gimp drivers that will do that for basic web printing.

See for more info:
    http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/

9. TazExprez macrumors member

I was able to print directly to networked printers using JetCet on the HTC Touch Pro almost three years ago. I thought that AirPrint would allow me to do that with the iPod Touch.

10. Sanveann macrumors 6502

Sanveann