What happened to "it just works"?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by maxmiles, Feb 18, 2013.

1. maxmiles macrumors member

Ok I admit to being frustrated by this software problem I'm having. But I *did* have higher standards for Apple. But with iTunes, the Music app, Music Match, the Podcast app.. expectations are falling fast.

See I would expect my phone to work as it's designed. As it's touted to do. I'd like to be able to add a song to iTunes and then be able to play this song on my iPhone. But I don't get to do that. It usually works, but *usually*. And not when I really want it to work. I've been having the hardest time getting Nick Cave's newest album to show on my iPhone. I have Music Match. The album is in the iTunes library. the album is reporting to be in the cloud. But it's not showing up on the phone. I created a playlist just for the album. NO. I toggled Music Match on and off. NO. I hard synced the phone to the computer. NO. I wirelessly synced to the computer. NO. I left the phone alone for awhile. NO, and it gets worse. I give up and am busily going about my day. And would like to try to listen to SOMETHING then on the phone. But NO, the Music app is stuck in some kind of cloud syncing function. You know, the symbol of the cloud on the screen with some kind of static status bar beneath it. I wait longer. NO, it's frozen. Ok, so I force quit the app. I restart the app. Then I go ahead and turn off Music Match in settings. Viola, the songs downloaded to the phone are there as expected. But NO, not really. For instance there's an Iron and Wine album I've been listening to a lot lately on the phone. It's not there. But albums that are in my collection but not on the phone are there. And when trying to play them of course they don't play, because they're not there and Music Match is turned off. Like what the HELL? What happened to "it just works"??? Talk about crappy software engineering. I start to get paranoid that maybe Apple subtly finds ways to bug up the software when new versions are available and you haven't updated yet. But that's just.. paranoid. And don't get me started about the Podcast app. What a joke. :-|

2. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Unfortunatly it sounds more to do with with your phone/set up that issue with Apple to be fair.

I don't have any of the problems you mention. What iPhone do you have?

3. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I'm not experiencing the same issues as you. So, "it just works" for me just fine. Don't have any suggestions for fixing your problem. But it would seem to me that your thread title is misleading since you are blaming the software/service which is working fine for others such as myself. It just doesn't work... For you.

4. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Everyone knows the Apple Podcast app sucks pretty bad, thankfully there are MUCH better alternatives on the App Store, and I dont have any problems so it works just fine for me.

Are you on iOS 6.1?

5. maxosx macrumors 68020

Lots of things "just work". Apples devices can be dodgy. It's the nature of the mass produced retail gadget.

6. Ray Brady macrumors 6502

I don't know that. It works flawlessly for me. Exactly what problems are you having with it?

7. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Look up the app in the App Store and read some of the reviews.

8. irDigital0l Guest

Its slow as hell, lags, chews up your data even when auto downloads is turned off, has no folders, useless ui, hard to actually find podcasts, no folders, etc.

9. madsci954 macrumors 68030

10. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Nothing ever happened to it because it never really existed. Apple devices are just as prone to bugs and issues as anything else.

11. maxmiles thread starter macrumors member

I ended up resolving the glitching issue by doing a reset. My guess is the Music app and/or it's iCloud handling ran into a non resolvable loop as nothing would update or play. Hope they get more engineers on iOS software. Anyway, haven't installed the new Podcasts app yet but will given the reviews.

12. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

Good to hear you resolved the issue, I haven't ever had any issues with iTunes, but I don't sync my music with iCloud.

13. cgsnipinva macrumors regular

cgsnipinva

I have Had No Problem

If you turn on wireless sync - every time I bring my iPhone or iPad home - they sync with my mac and eachother without even asking.

I actually like the new iTune more functional and cleaner user interface.

14. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

To answer the original question, if you ask a lot of people on MR people don't want things to "just work" anymore. As far as iOS goes in general people in these parts keep hoping it gets more complicated with widgets and the junk Android's been playing with for years, the same stuff that's made Android less user-friendly than iOS. If we want these features to come, we have to accept things won't "just work" anymore both in the sense that it will go beyond that and in the sense that there will also be bugs here and there.