What Happened To iTunes Plus?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 210, Sep 26, 2007.

1. 210 macrumors regular

I recall Steve Jobs saying that half of the songs on iTunes will be available as iTunes Plus by the end of the year. As we have only 3 more months to go, there doesn't seem to be any progression since the EMI announcement. I converted my songs to iTunes Plus back in May and have had no information to convert any more since then.

What's going on?

2. Queso macrumors G4

Universal threw (not through :rolleyes:) a wobbly and struck out on its own. I guess Sony and Warner are waiting to see how that goes before they commit.

3. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Apple has to answer Amazon's call to war, IMO. 256k non-DRM albums for $6? That's in the "impulse buy" range for me and is something that Apple can't match right now.

MWSF could be huge for the iTS, but I really home that they don't wait that long.

4. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

The albums aren't $6, after a quick look most are $8.99,
    But still a good deal for DRM free tunes.

5. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Half the albums I looked for yesterday were $6.99 ... most every track I saw was 10% less than is on iTunes.

I can imagine a model in the very near future where, when I buy a CD, Amazon sends me an email saying, "Thanks for buying %CD%, we'll ship it out to you ASAP. In the meantime, here's a digital download for you to enjoy. Thanks for using Amazon.com!"

If Apple is going to maintain their stranglehold on the market, Amazon can not go unanswered.

6. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

After reading this thread I visited the iTunes Plus Store and I had two new music videos to upgrade. So maybe there are new additions, but it's being done quietly?

Attached Files:

7. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Massive Attack is still EMI, so I suppose that maybe EMI is slowly releasing its catalogue a bit at a time.

That, or EMI/Apple is slow on upgrading all the videos to iTunes Plus.

In any case, I don't expect that any of the major labels will be jumping to iTunes Plus anytime soon. Amazon just struck a huge blow to iTunes game plan and the labels now have a bargaining chip.

8. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I didn't know that. (You really do learn something new everyday. :D )

I hope that the new Amazon store is a major success and forces the iTunes Store to be competitive.

9. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I'm just annoyed your not allowed to choose which tracks you want to upgrade.

They force you to do all, or nothing. :(

10. R A Softlad macrumors newbie

The new release of iTunes seems to have done away with the upgrade to iTunes Plus option.

I had $78 of upgrades this morning, couldn't download them and now can't find them to download.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

I was able to upgrade 45 songs this morning. I guess once this is officially announced (if it ever gets officially announced), it'll work better. :)

12. R A Softlad macrumors newbie

So iTunes Plus has been made live again as of 9pm ET. However all the music I had to upgrade to has now gone... very strange.

13. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

14. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Same here. For only a couple of days there were three albums in my Plus account for me to buy as upgrades yet whenever I hit the buy button Apple would give me a "no longer available for purchase" pop-up. Now they're gone completely, that really blows!

15. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

This just gets more and more rediculous the more I go on the store. LABELS, Where are my friggin' upgrades? Make up your mind!

Jeez.:p