what happened to local backups?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by sheeracali, Jul 16, 2011.

1. sheeracali macrumors member

I noticed starting with DP4 that local backups with Time Machine where no longer possible. Why was this removed?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. sheeracali thread starter macrumors member

I mean, in earlier DPs Lion's Time Machine was able to make snapshots on your local drive. I can't seem to get that to work in GM.

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

unless you disabled them it is still in use.

5. sheeracali thread starter macrumors member

I must have disabled them, because when I click on time machine, it asks me to set it up in the prefs. How can I enable it?

6. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Local snapshots are on by default. Just update your TM preferences and you will be fine. Unless you went into terminal and typed sudo tmutil disablelocal , they are on.
    From the TM help file:
    If you have a portable computer, in addition to saving backups on your backup disk, Time Machine saves hourly snapshots of files and stores the snapshots on your computer’s internal drive. If your backup disk isn’t connected, Time Machine continues saving snapshots on your internal drive, and then resumes backing up to your backup disk when you reconnect it.

7. sheeracali thread starter macrumors member

odd. My Time machine won't let me turn it on without a disk connected. I had turned it off awhile back and then my Time Capsule's power supply died on me.

8. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Do you get an error message or does the slider switch just not let you slide it on?
    Does your time capsule work now? What are you trying to use in its place? External drive?