What happened to mac OS X "Backup" program?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gottafly, Apr 9, 2011.

1. gottafly macrumors regular

I'm having trouble locating the OS X program "Backup"...the one that had the little red umbrella icon and you could use it to schedule specific backups..

Can anybody direct me to it? Not sure if they did away w/ it when they dropped .mac accounts or not.

It's very strange. I can barely find any reference to it on multiple different Google searches or searches w/i these forums.

Trouble is, a few months ago I wiped my iMac clean because it was running a little funky after 3+years. My 1TB external w/ all media in it crapped out...but I've got a "Backup" of it on another 1TB external with NO WAY to restore it because I can't find the silly Backup program.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

To elaborate on what the above poster said -

The backup program is called Time Machine, it hasn't been taken out of the OS so it will still be there on your computer. The program you use to restore your computer from a backup is called Migration Assistant - again, that hasn't been removed so you should be able to find it in Applications -> Utilities. Neither of these have an umbrella in the icon though, so you must be thinking of a third party app.

All you should have to do is connect your drive to the computer, open Migration Assistant (as I said, in your Utilities folder located in Applications), and follow the prompts.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The Backup app with the Umbrella used to be distributed via MobileMe/DotMac. It was a first-party app, but IIRC does not exist any more and has been replaced with Time Machine.

EDIT: Maybe not! http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1025

B

5. gottafly, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011

gottafly thread starter macrumors regular

I knew I wasn't crazy!!

Thank you Balamw!!!

For those of you interested, this program is different from TimeMachine (obviously) and Migration Assistant. Migration Assistant is more for moving content from one computer to another (ie.old to new) and Time Machine, although a great "background" app, will not keep info indefinately (without an obscene amount of disk space) and has its limitations (as in not being able to backup from both your primary Hard Drive AND an External Hard Drive). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong....always willing to learn more!

The Backup program has a bit more flexibility and more control over exactly WHAT you want to back up and WHEN/how often you want to do so....it's worth a look.

Thanks again to all.