What happened to Microsoft?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kronie, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Is it just me or is the Microsoft website down? And has been down for a couple of days?

I was trying to update an install of office and it wouldn't connect. I tried to go the the M$ website and it doesn't connect.

I cant imagine a huge company like M$ would allow there site to be down for so long.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Must be my wireless router because there is a handful of sites, M$, New egg, my own site, that are completely unaccessible. On both mac and windows machines at our house.

I'm going to take my laptop out and see if I can connect to those sites. This is SO wierd.

4. newdeal macrumors 68020

I had a virus once that wouldn't let me access microsofts site, or any antivirus website, or update my antivirus software. I ended up having to format my system to get rid of it...norton detected it entering my system when I installed a downloaded piece of software but of course in typical norton fashion could not actually do anything about stopping it or cleaning it away lol. Of course I am sure that virus was PC only

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

... Since no viruses exist that run on current Mac OS X, you're right.

6. madog macrumors 65816

madog

If nothing else, try power cycling (unplug them from power) your modem and router for about 5-10 minutes.

7. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Works fine away from my house. I'm updating Office now and everything is working fine.

I have already reset the modem at home, cleared the cache, cookies and everything else that could be the issue.

The DSL provider (Fairpoint) basically treated me like an idiot and gave me Apple's toll free number. There stance was that if the speedtest verified that the signal was coming through it was my problem. I guess that's why Fairpoint is bankrupt company.

Very frustrating. The DSL provider just updated several control boxes in our area so our DSL went from 1.4MB download to 3.0. About the same time that my house started to have these connectivity problems. That could be it but don't know why some sites are fine while others wont load.

I have another wireless modem at home that I will set up when I get back. Hopefully that fixes it.

8. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I don't want to be a stickler, but you say you've tried resetting the modem, but have you tried unplugging it from the power for several minutes as opposed to just using the reset button? It does make a difference.

9. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I have powered down the modem yes. I will try again before I set up the other one. I just don't know why some sites work perfectly while others don't. I haven't seen that before. Usually it just works or it doesn't or its slow.

10. madog macrumors 65816

madog

You've pretty much tested everything possible that rules out a problem on your end. It has to be something coming from your service provider whether they even know it or not. Even if someone messed with your hosts file you've said that the sites work outsite of your home network. Unless someone added site exclusions to your wireless router settings... have you checked that?

I've heard of this problem with google sites, and one user reported power cycling for a few minutes and it working, and another reported doing it for 10 minutes, but then still didn't have access until 20 minutes after that. This was after going through some of the same things you have.

It makes me think it's the providers problem that eventually fixes itself possibly when a user reestablishes their connection, but at the same time seems completely random.

11. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

One thing thats doubtful but possible, is that maybe your subnet mask on your router is set incorrectly. If set incorrectly you will be able to access some ISPs and not others.

I would start with a trace route using network utility, which should already be installed.

12. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Wow what a cool utility. I didn't even know OSX had that. I ran trace route in windows command prompt and it timed out for various sites I have been having problems with and some I thought were fine. I'm almost positive it was the work that they recently did on our lines. The modems fine so it must be.

Anyway, there sending someone out to the house. I love calling tech support when you know more than the tech and you can tell he or she is thumbing through books and manuals to see whats up.