What happened to my 3G coverage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wingnut330, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

I have had my phone since release day and it has been great. I noticed this weekend that my 3G coverage has become very spotty and today I don't have any 3G coverage while 3 of my coworkers have 3G. We all have full bars but I'm on Edge and they are on 3G.

We all have the latest software update etc but I don't have 3G. Is it the phone or the software?

Should I take it in to the store to get it swapped?

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's probably neither. If you had coverage before this weekend but not now, then I'd chalk that up to a network issue.

Are there other people there with AT&T phones? Are they having issues, too?

3. dusters711 macrumors regular

A bunch of us were having issues this weekend, even though we never had issues before (we talked about it in another thread)... I had no 3G issues here in PA but then last Fri / Sat I had full bars for 3G but no data speed! Someone suggested turning "Airplane" Mode on for a few seconds and then turning it off... that worked for me and I have been fine ever since! But I think it has to be a network thing!

4. dancavallaro macrumors regular

Happened to me, too - Central NJ. I've had fine 3G speed (600-900 kb/s) up until a few days ago, and now I frequently get periods of time where I get literally 10-20 kb/s on 3G, so I switch to edge and get ~180. This is insane, I was totally satisfied until the last few days, but getting speeds of 10 times slower than EDGE on 3G is INSANE.

5. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That did the trick for me. Thanks! I'm really glad I don't have to swap out hardware.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

About a year and a half ago, before the iPhone came out, I remeber AT&T reps used to recommend to people that they power cycle their phones about once a day, just to ensure the network doesn't "forget" about you and to avoid any issues. I guess that still might be good practice for those having problems like this.

I too have noticed that Central NJ has been a little weird over the weekend, particularly around Highland Park and Edison. However New Brunswick and Woodbridge and outwards appears to be okay.

7. dancavallaro macrumors regular

I'm in Princeton, to be specific, and I've been having intermittent issues with 3G. Right now it's fine, but this morning it was unusable. As in, I couldn't check my mail. It eventually timed out after about 2 minutes of trying to check.

8. nottooshabby macrumors 6502

This happens to me all the time here at work. I get 3-4 bars of 3G at my desk for 2-3 days then I only get edge for a couple days. No amount of resetting, airplane mode, etc fixes it.

9. affenage macrumors newbie

Today, in Delaware, was the first time I got incredible (to me) speeds. Inetwork is clocking me at 1- 1.4 Mbps, consistently all day. Up until today I was averaging 300-400 Kpbs.
    I was worried I had a phone with a bad chip until today! Whatever they did in DE over the weekend was really great, especially since last Friday was one of the slowest days. So hang in there, I do think AT&T has been trying some things to improve our speeds.

sue