What happened to my administrator rights?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by germanix, May 28, 2010.

1. germanix macrumors member

I was trying to change a file entry in the system files. After making the changes I clicked on "save" and was then told that I do not have the permission to write to this file. I checked the "get info" to this file and saw I can only read this file. I am however the administrator so why can I not make changes?
    This is what I was trying to do:
    Getting rid of Tynt in OSX

Mac OS/X
    In Finder, from the Go menu, choose "Go to folder."
    In the "Go to the folder" dialog, type "/etc/".
    From the /etc/ folder window, open the "hosts" file in a text editor.
    Add the following to the hosts file in its own line, using the site that applies to you:

127.0.0.1 tcr.tynt.com
    Save and quit.

At this point I was told that my changes could not be saved as I have no rights.
    In System Accounts I am set as the administrator. I am on automatic Login. I was asked for my password in order to save my settings in the text editor which I entered but was then again told that I do not have the permission. The "get info" on the host file shows me as read only. How can I change this?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Click the lock icon and add yourself with Read and Write permissions.

3. germanix thread starter macrumors member

I did what you suggested and tried it again but it just says that the file could not be saved. (this time not mentioning that I do not have the permission)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

1. Save your changed hosts file to a new text file called temphosts.txt on your Desktop.
    2. Close the hosts file.
    3. Open the temphosts.txt file and Command+A to copy all
    4. Re-open the hosts file (now that the permissions have been changed)
    5. Command+A to select all
    6. Command+V to paste the data from the temphosts file
    7. Save the hosts file, entering your admin password if asked.

5. germanix thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much. This seems to have done it. have a nice day.

6. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

Look into a GUI app called TextWrangler, which makes a lot of stuff like that much easier. (e.g., opening files in hidden directories, authorizing to overwrite root-owned files inside root-owned folders, and even auto-saving a time- stamped backup, in case we make an editing error).

As far as your "Administrator rights" go: yes you are an admin. But, you're not the system itself (root). However —as an admin —you can get root access (usually time-constrained) when authorized via password. (i.e., your regular login password).

Edit: note that handling all the stuff in post #1 is normally done by modifying such files from within Terminal.app (using a command line editor such as nano, and getting authorization via sudo).