Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sukh18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
So i was trying to move the documents folder window but ended up dragging the folder to the desktop. However now, as much as ive tried to put the folder back, it wont go. The only thing in the actual documents folder on the desktop with the icon is a microsoft user data folder. So like when i go to save files or open one, it goes to the actual folder which is now on the desktop with only the microsoft folder in it. How can i restore it back to the sidebar in the finder? Thanks and sorry if its confusing.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
You really have two different issues. You want the documents folder back in your home directory, and you want the documents folder to appear in the side bar. It's easy to do both.

Open a Finder window. Select desktop from the side-bar. Or if Desktop does not appear in the sidebar simply view your actual desktop. (I can't remember if desktop is in the side-bar by default or if I added it.)

Drag the Documents folder from your desktop to your home directory. Your home directory will be listed on the side-bar as your user name with a picture of a house next to it.

Next, go to your home directory, and drag the documents folder to the side bar, and it will be added.

Good luck! Let us know if you need more help with this.

EDIT: When you add the documents folder to the side bar, look for the visual cues the Finder gives you. If you drag the documents folder over a sidebar item (and that item becomes highlighted in blue) and release the folder, the folder will be moved to that side bar location (for instance the Applications folder). You need to drag the documents folder to the side bar and position it in between two items already there, when you do so a blue line with a circle on the right hand side will show up showing that you are going to insert it there. When you see that line, you can let go and the folder will stay in the sidebar.

sukh18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Thanks

Thanks a lot for the help i think it worked. I dragged the documents from desktop to sidebar and it created the actual documents icon there is supposed to be. Then took the items in the fake documents folder and copied them over to the real one and deleted the folder icon. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.