What happened to My Dream App - Cookbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fred_garvin, May 8, 2008.

1. fred_garvin macrumors regular

The final winners were chosen October 2006 and the latest blog post was July 2007. Did these guys just give up?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

It's coming out the same week as Duke Nukem Forever and Chinese Democracy.

3. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

:D

4. Britonius macrumors newbie

Last deal I heard was MDA's PhillRyu contacted Ken Humbard of Hungry Seacow, who created YummySoup recipe mgmt software, to help them finish building Cookbook. They were in negotiations in March and the last I heard is listed in this forum - http://hungryseacow.com/forum/forum.php?req=thread&id=224. Not sure if the negotiations died or still ongoing.

5. CTYankee macrumors 6502

Ken officially declared it dead today. Basically Phil approached him about finishing Cookbook. He agreed to work on it along with Yummy Soup and keeping them separate. Phil agreed. The contract arrived and low and behold it had Phil eventually owning Yummy Soup and shutting down its sales when Cookbook went public. Basically what was to be an agreement to work on Cookbook was turned into a way for Phil to own what Ken already did. Not cool. Needless to say Ken walked.

6. fred_garvin thread starter macrumors regular

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Ah... that'll be the week the PowerBook G5 is launched, right?

8. fred_garvin thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, Apple has it in their labs running Copland and a beta version of Sword of Sodan.

9. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Man Phil is all kinds of wrong. Way to hold up your end MDA!

10. CTYankee macrumors 6502

Ken (Yummy Soup) has stated that nutritional information is coming in a new updated....free. So in a few months YS will probably have all the features of MG at half the cost. Not to mention it will be v1 while MG is v2. Ken is very responsive and provides great support. I've gotten emails from him in a matter of minutes (2?). Nothing but great things to say.

MG is very good too, just not as impressed with the direction and features. Seems to have leveled off and is getting more expensive and looking for new customers vs improving for existing and new customers.

11. CTYankee macrumors 6502

Ken posted a response filling in some of the gaps. This could expose Phil as the snake oil salesmen some say he is. Even MH devs have told me of problems they have had with him.