what happened to my itunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bright one, Dec 27, 2007.

1. bright one macrumors newbie

this afternoon, with my computer on and itunes [and nothing else] open, my G4 iMac froze. so i restarted, and when i tried later to open itunes, i got a message [that i did not write down] that said something to the effect that the library was not recognized or unrecoverable and when itunes opened up, it was blank -- all the songs, podcasts, playlists, etc., were gone.

But then i looked in my [internal] hard drive, and all my music was there.

In any case, i'm thinking this used imac i got last month may be a bum machine, but i wonder what went on to have this happen? I hardly have anything on my imac -- nothing in iphoto, only had about 400 songs, one game, a few pdfs, so i don't think it's a space issue. any thoughts/ideas?
    :(

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You could try rebuilding the iTunes library, but I think that may be the least of your worries. Use Disk Utility in the Utilities folder to verify the drive if you can, and repair it if necessary. Do you have much free space on your boot drive? Has anything else strange been happening on this machine? Did you reformat and reinstall when you bought the machine?

3. smartgirlglasse macrumors newbie

The same thing happened to me after I downloaded the new security update. If your library.xml file is gone, try "adding to library" and selecting the folder where your itunes library is located (whether on your mac hard drive or your external drive). it's a total pain, but it should readd everything to your library.

Good luck!

4. bright one thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!

1) i went through disk utility and it checked out OK. the only other weird thing that's been happening has been a couple other times in the past couple weeks when i've left the imac on it has frozen and i've had to restart it. i've got my fingers crossed for the time-being.

2) i then went to 'add to library' and re-introduced my songs/files to itunes and it seems to have worked that way. i'm lucky everything was saved to the hard drive, though. i still should remember to save everything i buy on CD and the external hard drive, just to be safe.

thanks again, you two!:)

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Out of interest, did the recent freezes show up in the crash logs within Console in the Utilities folder?