What happened to my MBP? It came back from the dead?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by majordude, Jul 23, 2008.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I was running my MBP in bootcamp (XP) and left it doing something all night. When I came in this morning it was off.

I was puzzled.

I pressed the power button and it gyrated a bit but then went right back off after a second or two. I did it again. Same thing. It was DEAD.

I didn't know what to do but I pressed and held the power button and Lord, hallelujah, it beeeeeeppppped and came back to life!

What the hell happened? Am I witness to a miracle?

2. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

A miracle, no not likely. You might want to get it looked at, unless it was just particularly damp or very cold at the time.

My Toshiba laptop started doing that a few months ago.... was very hard to get on.. once it turned on, it would stay on for hours to days, then it would be hard to get it back on, until finally I can no longer get it to stay on at all. I'm not sure what's wrong precisely, other than maybe something related to the internals not making proper contact with something.

Either way, getting a new MBP to replace it soon enough.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Sounds like it wouldn't wake up from sleep. Pressing and holding the power button rebooted it.

From apple:

The System Management Controller is an integrated circuit (computer chip) that is on the logic board of the computer. As the name implies, it is responsible for power management of the computer. It controls backlighting, hard disk spin down, sleep and wake, some charging aspects, trackpad control, and some input/output as it relates to the computer sleeping.

Over time, the settings in the System Management Controller may become unusable, which can result in operational anomalies with the computer. Examples include not turning on, not waking from sleep, not charging the battery, or not recognizing the AC Adapter, among others.

Go here for more: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

4. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

I hope it was just sleepy and not dopey. Windows isn't set up to go into sleep mode and neither is OSX.

It was completely off. All the lights were off, the drives were off. Everything.

When I pressed the power button the small white light on the cover latch came on but it didn't seem 100%, more like 50% bright. Then the computer shut off again.

I thought it was out of power, like the power was off and it ran down the battery. But the charger was plugged in and the green light was on.

Strange.

5. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Okay. It (sorta) happened again.

If I keep my MBP running and reboot it from inside OSX it will start up. If I turn it off and press the on button it shuts right back down. I have to hold the button for about 10 seconds (until it goes beeeeeeppppppp!) and then it starts up... and then it seems to take longer than usual.

Any thoughts?