What happened to "other"?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Touchy, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Touchy macrumors regular

Everytime I would sync my iPod touch (iTunes on PC) it would show the iPod status and usage of resources (music, photos, etc) and there was a category of "other". It is not shown now yet the sync occurs normally. Have others observed this or has something changed only in my iPod touch?

2. dborja macrumors 6502a

"Other" is the space taken by the OS, address book and calendar data. Apps/music/videos, while they are still being loaded, also occupy "other". When they're done loading, the spaces they occupy are then categorized correctly. In normal operation, "other" should be around 250-300MBMB for the OS, address book and calendar data only. More than that means that some apps/music/videos were not loaded correctly; either because the loads were interrupted or some other error.

3. Touchy thread starter macrumors regular

I don't disagree and previously it would always appear on the "capacity" bar at the bottom of the iTunes sync screen. However, in the past several days "other" is absent on my iPod touch. Still, it syncs correctly: the calendar, contacts, apps, etc. Can't explain this yet. What could be going on?

4. Touchy thread starter macrumors regular

Anybody else have an opinion on this? I am hoping that I don't have to reformat my iPod. Help.

5. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Why would you care that "other" isn't showing, if nothing is missing? :confused: You would reformat for that?

6. Touchy thread starter macrumors regular

Well it's moot at this point!! My "other" has returned. Those "1's and 0's" sometime do crazy things I guess.
    Well why not care? It was a change in the function of the iPod and I found it interesting and if as the other repy said it was OS etc it could have been a malfunction that would have required reformating. Anyway thanks to all and hopefully all is back to normal.