Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
Until now, I am still curious about this. All shops here by now have swapped to the 2018 models, some as fast as the Apple Store here. What happens to the remaining 2017 iPad Pro then?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I believe Apple can still sell the remaining stock on the shelf at a discount price until they are completely told out. They did this too with the iPhone X (2017), while it wasn't listed on the apple.com, if the Apple Store still has them they can sell them at a discount pricing.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
A quick question then - if my gen 2 iPad Pro 12.9 was damaged, then under AppleCare would they replace it with the new Gen 3?

No. Apple keeps replacement parts and refurbished units ready for 5 years after a product is officially discontinued, 7 in CA or Turkey.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624

Very very rarely if replacement parts are in short supply they might do something like that, but it is exeedingly rare and only happens until parts come back in.

https://bgr.com/2017/07/24/macbook-pro-battery-replacement-apple-free-upgrade/

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I’m digging test driving my 11” iPP to replace my 9.7” iPP, but the 12.9” 2017 has to be a bit of a steal now if you can find one for cheap!

Not getting rid of mine, especially since I have the ASK+pencil for it already and a silicone back

Got the full kit for it

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
Ah I see, thought those unsold iPad Pro will be junked (highly unlikely I know but this year is a strange one...) or sent back to Apple at the retailer's loss.

I am in Singapore though, where most third party retailers have already stopped selling 2017 iPad Pro, which is why I asked. Looks like I may have a small chance to sell off if I change my mind; currently felt that the 2018 just don't feel right for gaming (yes, I am working on an impromptu review between both models and what not)

PS: I really wish I have a Best Buy right now for their 10TB EasyStores! :p

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
I believe Apple can still sell the remaining stock on the shelf at a discount price until they are completely told out. They did this too with the iPhone X (2017), while it wasn't listed on the apple.com, if the Apple Store still has them they can sell them at a discount pricing.
Never heard of this. Do you have a source to back this up?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Never heard of this. Do you have a source to back this up?
My source is from the Apple Store. Just like when Apple announced the XSXS Max and Apple has dropped the X from Apple.com, I went to the Apple store and asked them what they do with the remaining X they have on the shelf. They told me that they continue to sell them until Apple Headquarters have instructed them to send it back. During the launch week of the XS and XS Max, I saw quite a few walk out with the product red iPhone 8 and including 2017 iPhone X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.