What happened to Safari 4's Tabs on top?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hellomoto4, Jun 8, 2009.

1. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

As you are aware Apple released Safari 4 Final Version today, however the tabs have been moved back to the bottom? How come?! I loved the tabs at the top in Safari 4 beta.

What are you thoughts on the revert back to tabs on the bottom?
    And does anyone have a solution to get the tabs back up the top?

2. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

at first i didnt like it, but now after using it i dont accidentally hit the wrong X

3. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

I agree!

4. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

There are 4 or 5 threads on this already... you can open them all in tabs if you want.

5. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

I guess Apple decided that was more trouble than it was worth.

It saved some space, but not that much.

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I'm glad they moved the tabs back where they belong. :cool:

7. oopodoo macrumors newbie

Safari's release version tabs

I just installed the release version of Safari 4, and my freakin tabs are back inside my window, instead of on top where they should be! I'm so mad i could spit. I use an addon called Windowshade X and I can , excuse me, COULD, as in , not able to anymore, windowshade my window, and stack all my window shades so i could see the title of each tab.

Any hopes of a terminal command to send my tabs back to the top where they belong?

Attached Files:

• TABS.png
      TABS.png
      File size:
      685.8 KB
      Views:
  8. osin macrumors 6502

Me too :D

9. ghettochris macrumors 6502a

I liked them on top, the only thing that was a bummer is if you moved your mouse at all while selecting a tab the window moved.

However, when I have no tabs open, I liked being able to hit the plus button at the end of the top bar to open my first tab with a blank page, I have to do something else now like apple T :(

Anyone figure out how to reactivate top tabs or the blue progress bar?

10. vonraptus macrumors newbie

11. vonraptus macrumors newbie

… Or better yet, let me hide the damn thing. Tabs belong in a sidebar the way OmniWeb and SafariStand does it anyway.

12. schaaf macrumors newbie

yeah, I am severely disappointed with the move back to the bottom, and on an interesting side note...

I have a 24" iMac that was having screen ripple issues in safari, but when I was using safari 4 Beta, they were gone. I was so Happy. THRILLED!

But with the Official release, the ripples are back when scrolling.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Its pissing me off.

13. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

I actually liked them at the top too after using it that way the whole time the beta was out. I am more bummed about the ugly progress indicator in the address field. Also, what is the point of the X in it, you don't even have to click the X for it to stop, just anywhere in the gray progress indicator. I suppose they didn't want to put back in the blue loading progress bar as it was technically an Aqua feature and they are working to remove all indications of Aqua from future software revisions.

The plus sign is still there, at the end of the tab bar. You have to have the tab bar always visible though, even with one tab open, for it to show.

Can't be done. They removed the debug capailities that were in the beta from the final version.

14. davbeck macrumors regular

When I first downloaded the beta I was very annoyed and even turned it off but then decided to put it back so I would get used to it when I had to work on other peoples computers. After about a week I got used to them and found it much nicer. When you think about it, the only feature you loose with them on top is that you can't drag them around by clicking anywhere on the tab which is probably the least used function of tabs.
    I want tabs back on top as an option (possibly even the default but still an option). And incase Apple decides that lack of approval is enough to remove a feature, I also like the new tab/window option to open the same page, top sites, improved auto fill and whatever else I can't remember.

15. jashsayani macrumors regular

jashsayani

Me too... Sometimes, its not good to imitate Chrome.

16. oopodoo macrumors newbie

I just wish we had a Tab preference box to check for whether we want our tabs on top, or on bottom. Top is best for me, considering I use WindowShade X, tabs inside the window are just flat useless to me. I don't understand their attractiveness to so many here...

17. yairchu macrumors newbie

screen ripple

I am noticing this too. on an aluminum macbook.
    :(

18. JELaVallee macrumors newbie

Richmond, Virgninia, United States, Earth, Sol