OS Neutral What Happened To Shoot Em Ups ?

Washac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
What happened to the good old shoot em up ?

Shoot Em Ups = Horizontal/Vertical scrolling shoot em up games, games like Defender, Zynaps, Blood Money, R-Type, Xenon 1 and 2, 1942, and many many others.

Just wondered.

Just maybe there is a market there for people who want some shoot em up fun for a change.

I bet somebody lets me know where they all are ?

Me? I am rubbish at them but always up for a bit of fun,

Last edited:

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
Quake Live is still floating around.

They ar eboring, each the same as the next.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Shoot 'em Up = Top-down 2D shooters

Ikaruga was ported to the PC. There's the Tohou series if you're feeling particularly sadistic.

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado
Shoot 'em Up = Top-down 2D shooters

Ikaruga was ported to the PC. There's the Tohou series if you're feeling particularly sadistic.
Ambrosia's Deimos Rising was a good top-down 2D shooter. But they haven't updated it to run on the most recent OSX. Support stopped at OSX 10.7 :(

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Ambrosia's Deimos Rising was a good top-down 2D shooter. But they haven't updated it to run on the most recent OSX. Support stopped at OSX 10.7 :(
Actually, the best platform for the genre is the Dreamcast because people are still releasing such games for it today. The consoles remain cheap and plentiful.

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
Jamestown is a very good top down shooter released for PC, and has a mac version as well. If you have a PC available, Crimzon Clover is also available and is an amazing game.

Washac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
So the (classic) games like Defender and Zaxxon count?

man I'd love to play a game on Mac/PC that is a modern re-imagining of those sidescroller shooters.
It was meant to be "What happened to the Shoot em Up " but hey no problem about dipping back into some of the old classics :)

I must admit I was always rubbish at them.

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado
It was meant to be "What happened to the Shoot em Up " but hey no problem about dipping back into some of the old classics :)

I must admit I was always rubbish at them.
I was trying to figure out what kind of games you mean by "shoot-em-ups". At first we thought you were talking about games like Doom and Quake and Unreal, etc. Cuz you know, in those games, you shoot people, in the face, etc. Shoot em ups.

grandM

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2013
What happened to the good old shoot em up ?

Just wondered.

Just maybe there is a market there for people who want some shoot em up fun for a change.

I bet somebody lets me know where they all are ?
Makes you think back at the good old days: wolfenstein, doom, quake
OH BOY

Washac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Makes you think back at the good old days: wolfenstein, doom, quake
OH BOY
They are not Shoot Em Ups they are First Person Shooters.

Shoot Em Ups = Horizontal/Vertical scrolling Shoot EM Up games, as if the thread had been read, games like Defender, Zynaps, Blood Money, R-Type, Xenon 1 and 2, 1942, and others that have been mentioned here already.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Jamestown is a very good top down shooter released for PC, and has a mac version as well. If you have a PC available, Crimzon Clover is also available and is an amazing game.

If you have a Mac you already own a PC. You simply need a Windows license.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
http://mamedev.org

OpenEmu (http://openemu.org) supposedly has an "experimental core" that is based on MAME, but I could never get it working. There are multiple front ends that work with OS X though (QMC2, etc).

Finding ROMs isn't that hard- just google it (can't post links here because the legality is questionable). Most older arcade systems are emulated reasonably well enough to play. Some recent PCB specific games (anything based on the Cave CV-1000, so Ibara, DDP DFK, etc) are emulated reasonably well. Newer generic arcade systems (Naomi, anything based on the Xbox, etc) aren't supported and/or don't run.

There are a few companies still making Shmups, but that number is rapidly dwindling. CAVE recently released DDP SDOJ, but then I think they closed their doors :(. There was some other company who recently wrote a Dreamcast shmup, but the name escapes me at the moment.

-SC

Tymmz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2005
Recently I played RESOGUN on a mates PS4. What a blast.

Highly recommended.