What happened to System/Library/Filters?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by unobtainium, Nov 17, 2015.

1. unobtainium macrumors 68000

I'm trying to reduce the size of a PDF without the sharp reduction in quality you get by using Preview's size reduction filter. I found instructions for using custom quartz filters online, but they all direct me to install the file in System/Library/Filters. I've gotten into my Library folder, but as far as I can tell no "Filters" folder exists...Anybody know if it's moved in El Cap? I googled but couldn't find anything on this..

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Use /Library/PDF Services instead.

3. KALLT macrumors 601

I don't think that's the same. PDF services appear as shortcuts in the printing panel, whereas filters appear when saving a PDF file.

@unobtainium: You can create a Filters folder in your local library or user library if it doesn't exist:
    /Library/Filters
    ~/Library/Filters

The System directory is off-limits.

4. Rodan52 macrumors regular

Rodan52

5. Rodan52 macrumors regular

Rodan52

You could simply take a screen shot of the document and reduce the size in Photos.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

I wasn't guessing on this. Filters copied to the PDF Services folder work in the "Save as PDF" menu.

7. KALLT macrumors 601

It seems that you are right. Putting a .qfilter file into /Library/PDF Services will add an entry to the Quartz filter menu when saving a PDF. However, it will also add an entry to the PDF options of the print panel which doesn't do anything (see picture). The better way would be to use the Filters folder instead, because then the filter will only appear in the Quartz filter menu.

Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 16.27.05.png

For those interested, I've attached a .qfilter file that reduces the file size of PDFs when saved with a Quartz filter. You should put it into /Library/Filters or ~/Library/Filters (just create the folder if it isn't there).

Attached Files:

8. rabotter macrumors newbie

rabotter

In my El Capitan the / Library / Filters are blocked. I can not add any files. How to solve?

9. chrfr macrumors 603

Make sure you're trying to put them in /Library/Filters, not /System/Library/Filters, or in the Library folder that's inside your home folder.

10. jostree macrumors newbie

Fantastic. This work great!!!! Thank you very much. I am shocked that Apple has removed this option from Sierra and such a workaround to get it back is even necessary.

11. leman macrumors 604

Why is that a workaround? Seems like exactly the same thing as before. Just that the folder is not pre-created.

12. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone