What happened to the 48xx series for the Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hugodrax, Feb 28, 2009.

1. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

Heard rumors it might appear, anything substantial regarding the 48xx series for the mac pro systems?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It was never going to happen for Harpertown. The rumor was wishful thinking.

3. Outsider macrumors regular

Outsider

It might be coming soon. Appleinsider has a story about the 10.5.7 update having some sort of support for the Radeon 4000 series. It could be an option (or standard fare) for the Nehalem Mac Pro due soonish and Apple has been known to make graphics cards available for older Mac Pros. Also, an ATI solution, like the one they have for the 3870 can be made available. There is a decent chance.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Known to? No. They did it because people demanded it.

nVidia wouldn't even make the driver for it, so Apple was forced to do so.

5. Outsider macrumors regular

Outsider

2 things.

Known to? Yes. If they've done it in the past, several times (the 8800 and X1900 come to mind), then they have been 'known to' do it. Come on, this is basic english.

We're not talking about NVIDIA, we're talking about ATI who do make their own drivers for the Mac. So one less barrier.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They did it once. I'm not known for running Windows... because I did it once. And then I made Cider ports of the games I wanted.

7. Outsider macrumors regular

Outsider

They did it 3 times in recent memory. The official 8800 upgrade and one for the X1900 XT and then one for the Mac Pros with ancient cards, the HD 2600 XT. It's unwise to assume they won't again.

8. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I have a feeling that we may very well see a 48xx card made available - there is profit in it for ATI. After all, the 3870 was made available and it is by no means a BTO option. And given that the GPU selection is the most universal complaint about Mac Pros - or will be again after the next upgrade - I can definitely see them taking advantage of the situation. Though admittedly, the whole situation with DisplayPort is a bit awkward.

Who knows, maybe we'll see cards with DP ports and DVI ports.

If I had to name my biggest problems with OS X, they would be: weaker GPU offerings and lack of options, lack of Nvidia optimization for same, and the lack of support for multichannel audio. I have to wonder if we may see them addressed at some point, because a lot of other complaints are being addressed in Snow Leopard. And hey, given the recent news on Blu-ray licensing, maybe that hole will be filled in, too.